 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3796
Re: LEGO... are you out there? Do you care? (WAS: WHY SO LONG ON BULK BRICKS?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 02:16:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Benjamin Medinets writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:

As I mentioned in another follow-up to this thread... the website is already
there, why not at least collect *some* free data?  To not do this is simply
a wasted opportunity.

How many of us on LUGNET make it a point to visit LEGO.com regularly?

I agree......I visit the site just to see if there is any update...which
to me is sad, because they rarely do.  It seems to me they spent big bucks
implementing a decent web site, but decided to make do with sporadic updates.

The front page of LEGO.com should be updated no less than once a week, and
preferably more often.  How many of us enjoy CNN.com, or CANOE.com or
LUGNET.com because the content changes so regularly?  LEGO should make their
website *the* destination for LEGO fans on the web.

If they really want to be successful, they need to increase the staff in
their Information Technology department, so their web portal can be
not only regularly maintained, but updated as well.

You can always get by with less IT people.  ;)

What they really need are writers and graphic artists to make the site
content rich.

Why go there, when they make big product announcements on LUGNET?  They
don't seem to realize that LEGO.com should be the internet portal to their
company... not this site.

For me, I only visit it when someone at Direct posts a new link.

My point exactly.  Folks come to LUGNET for their news instead of LEGO.com.
This just doesn't make good business sense.

See my above comments, and I would have to agree with your views.
Yes.  Lego should make better use of its resources, and it has pointed out
on a number of occasions that only a fraction of its sales are from
Shop@Home.  A good majority are from "off-the-shelf" customers.

The only question lately is, "off what shelf?"  As Megablocks takes over
more and more of precious retail landscape that used to belong to LEGO,
there is an ever greater chance that kids who still love to go to the toy
aisle (find me a kid who want to e-shop as opposed to head off to Toys r Us)
will find the competitions blocks more interesting.  I wonder when the last
time Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen was in a toy store?

We can see the potential of LEGO bricks in LEGO-generated propaganda like
'The Ultimate LEGO' book.  And yet they have no interest in making those
quantities or selection of bricks available.  It makes me wonder why they
bother with a book like that in the first place.

They say one thing, but do another.  They preach about the multitude of
building possibilities using LEGO bricks, but won't let anyone else but
themselves have access to them.  They haven't learned to play nice with the
rest of the kids.  Shame on them.

I think you've hit on this discussion before, Alan.  I agree with you that
it is a general problem like that.  I don't think this kind of "play" is
recent.  I remember Lego designing certain models with "special" pieces just
so you had to buy the certain set.

What is distressing though, is now adays there are soo many "special pieces"
that the creativity factor is no long viable.

This is another thing that really makes poor business sense.  For eons it
has always been large and/or fantastic LEGO creations that have made people
say "WOW!"  And yet the company wants to sell backpacks and wristwatches.
I've said it before, I'll say it again... this is a good way to drive a good
company right into the dumpster.

So What WE NEEEEEED is bulk bricks.....and WHERE ARE THEY....LEGO??????

I wonder why anyone takes the time to ask anymore.  We have little if any
evidence that this information trickles up the pipe to the folks who really
need to hear it.

Regards,
Allan B.