 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3801
3800  |  3802
Subject:
Analogy of a debate: (WAS:Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:32:38 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes: • [snip]
We need to continue to pressure the entire LEGO company to start
doing a better job or things are going to get worse before they get better.
Personally, I feel a sense of obligation to point out the all flaws, cracks,
weak links, leaky bulkheads, warped floor boards and carpet stains I can to
them.

How do you do this pointing out? Is it more than posting on LUGNET? (I ask
because it seems you don't think they listen here, so all these posts would
be pointless, right?)

You're absolutely right.  I don't think they listen.  But I do think they
read some of the postings to LUGNET.  Remember, there's a difference between
hearing and listening.  I intend to keep talking until they *listen*.  Do
you know a better way to get in touch with them?

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.  This is my own opinion of how to
best reach out to them.

[snip]
As an analogy, think of Joe Consumer who likes to drive Ford Mustangs.  But
then Ford starts making and trying to sell snowboards with their logo on
them.  They don't realize that Joe has always enjoyed buying their cars, not
their logo.  Ford fails to sell enough snowboards and goes bankrupt.  Think
there will be any more Mustangs for Joe to buy?

In case my analogy isn't crystal clear...  LEGO = Ford and LEGO Direct =
Mustang.  No Ford, no Mustang.  No LEGO, no LEGO Direct.

Does Ford make snowboards? I don't know.

Has Ford gone broke selling snowboards? Definitely not.

Could Ford go broke selling snowboards? Who knows? But it's hardly strong
support for your theory of a potential LEGO demise...

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I was attempting to use hyperbole to
slam home my point.  For some reason every point I try to make in this
thread gets misunderstood.

(Just a thought: Virgin sell a lot of airline tickets)

Yes, and Virgin is run by a dynamic and exciting businessman who understands
the business world, but is also willing to think outside the box.  Perhaps
he should come over and run LEGO for a while.  I gurantee things would improve.

Regards,
Allan B.