 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3776
Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:17:44 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Bryan Wong writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Personally I still can not figure out why the minimum number of pieces is 25.
When they say bulk I assume a minimum of 1,000.  I would love to by 10,000 • 6x8
grey plates, if offered at a reasonable price.  TLC is a buisness so I
certainly do not expect charity, but I am also an informed consumer.  With
bulk packs there is no set R&D costs, no retail overhead, and minimal
packaging.  So why the heck do they cost what they do?!  I personally think
they could be making more profit by lowering the cost per piece and making
the minimum number of pieces much higher. (Like the aforementioned 1,000
minimum)

Yeah I agree with you.  I think they should have bulk selections in
quantities of 25, 100, and 1000+ (for example) for the average, serious, and
insane builder, respectively.  Obviously, the more "bulk" you order, the
cheaper price per piece (within limits of course).

What would be easiest (for LEGO), is to just keep the current packaging and
offer discounts on a scale corresponding to the number of bulk packs purchased
(there was a form of this in the first month of bulk ordering). Say, 10 packs
for 5% off, 25 packs for 10% off, and so on.

This way, the more you buy in bulk the more you save, and LEGO doesn't have to
come up with new packaging for 1000-piece units that relatively few people
would buy.

-Marc Nelson Jr.