 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3800
Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:26:54 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
[snip]
We need to continue to pressure the entire LEGO company to start
doing a better job or things are going to get worse before they get better.
Personally, I feel a sense of obligation to point out the all flaws, cracks,
weak links, leaky bulkheads, warped floor boards and carpet stains I can to
them.

How do you do this pointing out? Is it more than posting on LUGNET? (I ask
because it seems you don't think they listen here, so all these posts would
be pointless, right?)

I guess we (Lego Community as a whole) need to either:

a) boycott Lego

or

b) everybody flood Brad, and others at Lego Direct (spam their personal
mail accounts) with our opinions until they either forward them to the
right channels or decide to something about it.

I don't think all the "new" stuff put out in the last couple years has
helped Lego Direct put out a better selection of bulk items.
But some have posted that if you want grey bricks, stock up on
guarded inns, and part them out, and sell the pieces you don't need.
I know this isn't the perfect solution....but it might help out
for the short-run.

I am also curious at what set will be put out next in the Legends line
/Classic Line-up.  It was disheartening to see that Lego refusal to put
out the monorail sets back out / I guess they were too lazy to find an
outsourcing manufacturer to make the motors..... <sigh>

Lastly, the Ford analogy is a bit weak.....
considering that since HP (movie) came out, Lego HP sets have sold real
well.  I don't think Lego is in danger of going out of business in 2001.
Next year, that may be a different story.

(and the gimmicks and fads might work, it just doesn't give Lego any
stability in market base......)  [sad, but today's kids are more apt to
follow fads....not to say there wasn't any different behavior.....its just
that manufacturers make toys "simpler to use".

Classic System did (keep a stable market-base) = tried to maintain
the same appeal year after year <minus Town Jr.>

choose the poison....classic system will appeal to older enthusiasts who
grew up with it, and has a good chance of being picked up by children of
the enthusiasts....probably a good way of marketing....(ideal, really)
or cater to today's children....not that effective...prone to a lot more
uncertainty, especially market forces / economic rules of supply and
demand, might be good for a short-term return....

some thoughts....

Benjamin Medinets