 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3789
Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:32:57 GMT

I can't answer for LEGO, but consider the business.  This is a company setup
to do things in a certain way.  They make billions of elements, so your
10,000-piece order is in the noise.  But processing your 10,000 piece order
is so far from the way the company is set is that they simply cannot do it,
no matter how logical it might seem to us.  They have rivers of parts going
into bags, going into boxes, going onto pallets, to be shipped all over the
world.  This is not a river you divert easily.

That was exactly my point though.  The company could make MORE profit on bulk
by reduceing the per unit cost but greatly increasing the volume produced.
Everyone would be happy that way.

What we are witnessing (I think) is a company that has given a green light
to a division (LD) to try to make it work.  They have only been given a
small stream to play in.  They prove themselves (by high profit margin), and
they will get more flow, but it takes real time to convince all those people
involved in making all the rivers flow.  I think they are succeeding,
because the bulk experiment is apparently working, as is a number of other
initiatives, like sculptures, etc.  All these are the direct result of
LUGNET, in my opinion.

However, because of the above, don't hold out for price reductions.  That is
what is getting them the attention.  Lowering prices is not the goal here.

Even if by increasing volume they would be making more profit!?
We might as well stop this right now as only an employee of TLC could explain
this.

And I would much rather see more coverage than 10,000 cheap 2x4's.

This is the second person that did not read my post.  I said I wanted 10,000
6x8 PLATES.  6x8 plates are a bit different than the 2x4 bricks two posts now
have assumed I said.

--Jack Gregory