 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3785
Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jack Gregory writes:

Mike Petrucelli <lordi@erols.com> wrote in message
Personally I still can not figure out why the minimum number of pieces is • 25.
When they say bulk I assume a minimum of 1,000.  I would love to by 10,000 • 6x8
grey plates, if offered at a reasonable price.  TLC is a buisness so I
certainly do not expect charity, but I am also an informed consumer.  With • bulk
packs there is no set R&D costs, no retail overhead, and minimal • packaging.  So
why the heck do they cost what they do?!

I can't answer for LEGO, but consider the business.  This is a company setup
to do things in a certain way.  They make billions of elements, so your
10,000-piece order is in the noise.  But processing your 10,000 piece order
is so far from the way the company is set is that they simply cannot do it,
no matter how logical it might seem to us.  They have rivers of parts going
into bags, going into boxes, going onto pallets, to be shipped all over the
world.  This is not a river you divert easily.

What we are witnessing (I think) is a company that has given a green light
to a division (LD) to try to make it work.  They have only been given a
small stream to play in.  They prove themselves (by high profit margin), and
they will get more flow, but it takes real time to convince all those people
involved in making all the rivers flow.  I think they are succeeding,
because the bulk experiment is apparently working, as is a number of other
initiatives, like sculptures, etc.  All these are the direct result of
LUGNET, in my opinion.

However, because of the above, don't hold out for price reductions.  That is
what is getting them the attention.  Lowering prices is not the goal here.
And I would much rather see more coverage than 10,000 cheap 2x4's.

--Jack Gregory

Exactly, While I wouldn't downplay large bulk discounts, I would rather see
Slopes and Plates in Lt Gray available soon this coming year!

I hope everyone here is in agreement with me? :-)

Slopes, Tiles, Plates, 1x3 bricks, 1x1 bricks, Is all I would really want to
see in the NEAR future (Like this year coming up) in Light Gray~!