 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3759
Re: WHY SO LONG ON BULK BRICKS???? LEGO PLEASE READ!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:40:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Erik Olson writes:
You're right, this was all done by adult fans for adult fans. I was just
trying to dig out some of Lugnet's past for you that you might have missed.

Fair enough.

At least we had fun, if not very scientific fun, and Brad had fun along with
us it seems, along the way to seeing Cypress Trees and the like. Speaking of
which maybe I should sneak-order some before my supposed "last Lego set ever
(10000)" on Dec 25. Said moratorium to thaw only when I can buy some decent
slopes assortments and all types of brown, green and light gray bricks.
(Just in case anyone is listening.)

Lego have used real consumer research at other times (we saw a questionaire
at Brickfest for example.)

Uh, legend has it they talk to real kids and parents, too, that would be the
"real consumer research." Focus Groups and such. They also use what parents
tell them on the S@H line, and use it to spy on the kids. Example: Overheard
by operator: "No, mommy, not that one, the set from page 17!" proves that
"local offspring do drive the decision making process of parental units." (I
am paraphrasing the Brickfest Q&A using sillier words.)

Just curious... did that questionaire ever show up on LEGO.com or even
LUGNET?  I don't mean to sound glib, but I think it highlights the point
that if you're not in the inner circle, you're not really in the game at all
when it comes to LEGO Direct.

I've never seen or heard of the questionaire elsewhere, but it was spiffy,
and I could imagine it showing up at other events like at Legoland. It was
pretty general--what age bracket, how many sets you buy, what you think
about your favorite Lego sets. I don't remember it asking about bulk, but it
did ask what special customer services you'd like to see from Lego. There
was a prize drawing.

But face it, there will always be inner circles. It's not a conspiracy. They
can only study so many responses. And anybody can still write to Susan
Williams. Probably the children of company employees get more input. When I
was a Texas Instruments company kid, I gave lots of feedback during testing
of Speak & Spell and Speak & Read and other products, I got invited to the
R&D labs in exchange for cookies, I turned in a cassette tape of ideas which
were probably legally problematic, but I can't discern that I ever made a
difference to a shipping product. I did get to see E.T. though, and got a
7-year old's immersion in bug checking.