 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3771
Re: WHY SO LONG ON BULK BRICKS???? LEGO PLEASE READ!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 05:03:57 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Troy Cefaratti writes:

"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@altavista.net> wrote in message

And I'm saying that LEGO.com does not represent the general public • either,
only a slightly larger small niche of fans.

O.K.  Let me try to express what I'm feeling in different words.

If the LEGO.com site isn't getting at least 10 times the hits/day of • LUGNET,
then someone is really doing something wrong.

I think you are missing Richies point Allen.  Even if lego.com gets 1000
times more hits than lugnet.com does, it STILL only represents a small,
although proportionally larger segment of the lego market.  It is
automatically excluding everyone that doesn't have a computer, everyone who
doesn't have internet access, everyone that doesn't surf the web, etc.

No, I think Richie and I guess you, are missing *my* point.  I'm only trying
to point out that LEGO uses LUGNET as it's internet information distribution
point to the exclusion of its own website.  Things are announced on LUGNET
that do not get announced on LEGO.com or only get posted there later.  The
point I'm *trying* to make is that they need to pay more attention to
LEGO.com and less attention to LUGNET.

This is not the entire problem.  This is just one piece of a much larger
marketing problem that the company has.  I'm only trying to point out one
area in which they could improve themselves at absolutely NO cost.  That is
the only point I'm trying to make.  You're 100% correct, they also need to
focus (intensely) on those without internet access, or those who do have
access but visit neither LEGO.com nor LUGNET.

I do support your notion that Lego should definitely be using their site as
you suggest though.  It's just silly not to.  I Just don't think it will be
100% representative of the general puplic either.  Although probably moreso
than Lugnet.

Probably very much more so.  From LEGO.com you would get the opinions of
kids, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts etc.  Here on LUGNET you get
opinions from a group who are already sold.  LUGNET is preaching to the
converted... it's easy.  They need to get out on every street corner and
start preaching to the unaware.

No, I have no idea what you're talking about.  Sorry.
My mistake, it was the S@H catalog, not the magazine, see:
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=460 et al

O.K. I've read the posting (mostly 2nd hand info of what Brad may or may • not
have said) and I'm not sure I understand your point.

Brad stated, at brickfest, that although early sales of the Guarded Inn
(those to the "inner circle" of Lugnetters) were good, that sales didn't
really take off until it appeared in the SAH catalog.  I believe the point
is that apparently the catalog reaches alot more of the "general public"
than either Lugnet or Lego.com.

Of course it does.  It reaches all those people I mentioned above. This has
been my point all along... LUGNET simply doesn't represent the entirety of
the LEGO buying population.  LEGO.com is the closest thing on the web that
does, but even it's not 100% accurate.  LEGO needs to get out of their
towers, get down to street level, get their hands dirty and find out what's
really going on.  If they could see the toy aisles in my local Zellers
store, they'd have a fit.

As for the catalog itself is another symptom of the more serious internal
problems at the company.  I wrote in greater depth about the catalog in this
article:

http://www.fastcompany.com/solo/solo_feature/lego_bedford.html

(from an earlier message)
No, if you wanted real data about what the general public would buy, you
would survey them directly:

I totally agree.  But is the company prepared to do this?  Are they
including survey forms in sets or buckets?  No.  Do they care what their
customers want?  I'm honestly not sure.

Actually, they have included surveys in the sets in the past.  See my reply
above in this tread or the one from Mike Walsh.

"In the past"  This seems to be when LEGO did a lot of things.  This is
another point I'm trying to make in these discussions.  It's great to thank
them for what they did 5, 10 or 20 years ago... but what have they done for
us lately?  If survey forms worked once, they'll probably work again.  If a
web poll doesn't cost anything, why not give it a try.  If certain sets were
once big sellers, then why was that?  Ask these questions... dig for
answers.  This isn't rocket science folks, it's plastic bricks.

Regards,
Allan B.