 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3794
Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:33:58 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jack Gregory writes:
Mike Petrucelli <lordi@erols.com> wrote in message
That was exactly my point though.  The company could make MORE profit on • bulk
by reduceing the per unit cost but greatly increasing the volume produced.

But you are making an assumption that you can see how many would sell at a
particular price/quantity.  That kind of assumption is precisely the hard
one that drives all pricing and packaging.  From the evidence, I would say
they don't agree with your assumption.

Well it seems to me that most of the posts (in terms of what people want to
spend their money on) in this thread are supporting my assumption.

How many people have posted (supporting your assumption) on this thread? How
many people buy from S@H?

Frankly I
find it baffling that someone would not want at least 1,000 of any given basic
piece. (bricks, plates, and slopes)

Maybe, but such people exist. I would suggest that not many 10 year olds would
want that many.

I will buy the argument that someone
making a forest would not want 1,000 trees.

Likewise someone building a mobile crane...

And I would much rather see more coverage than 10,000 cheap 2x4's.

This is the second person that did not read my post.  I said I wanted • 10,000
6x8 PLATES.  6x8 plates are a bit different than the 2x4 bricks two posts • now
have assumed I said.

Relax, there are a lot of postings.  I think someone did say 2x4's at some
point, and I wasn't directly addressing yours.  But I will now: "I would
rather see more coverage than 10,000 unit packs of 6x8 plates to make Mike
happy."  ;-)

I would definately rather see something that makes the most people happy even
if it does not personally make me happy. (After all that would make the • company
the most money, and that is the whole point in the end.)

I still belive true bulk sales would make the company more money than the
single piece service packs are now.

But we'll never know for sure, because they're unlikely to tell us.

I definately want to see an expanded
selection.

Don't think you'll get much disagreement there!!!

For example slopes ("roof bricks") are basicly useless to me
without inverse slopes to go with them.  (I am, after all primarialy a space
builder)

And here lies the point - everyone builds differently. For some, bulk (1000+)
would be a god-send. I'd personally like to be able to buy technic beams in all
sizes in any common colour in lots of 50 or 100. But I doubt I'd ever buy 1000.

I would not buy them as single peice service packs though.  The price
per peice is the same or higher than a retail set despite having no R&D, • retail
overhead, instruction printing, or retail packaging costs.  Now I know TLC is • a
business so, as I have said before, I do not expect charity.  On the same • note,
I will not pay for what I perceive as a rip off either.

The free market at work! At some stage, if TLC figure the pricing or packaging
of these packs is hurting their bottom line, they'd be silly not to do
something about it. What they do is another question entirely. All we can do is
suggest options 8?) but they're moot until TLC decides they need to do
something.

ROSCO