 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3743
Re: WHY SO LONG ON BULK BRICKS???? LEGO PLEASE READ!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:37:51 GMT

Hi Allan -

"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@altavista.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:

In fact, the whole LEGO Direct team has done an amazing job.  In the last
couple years of their existance, they've assisted fans attend several • events
at LEGOLAND,

Which is great for that small percentage of fans who can do that.  Not as
helpful for the larger percentage who may never get to the park or to a
Brickfest-type event.

One of the reasons I strongly advocate more fan-created events, like the
BricksWest in the making out at LEGOLAND, and LEGOWORLD out in the
Netherlands.  40,000 people, and they had to turn people around at the door!

I'd love for more people to make it to these events.  But that's a different
subject, I was only citing that as an example of what LEGO Direct has done
thus far.

overhauled the website,

The "LEGO Direct" website?  Or the LEGO.com site?

LEGO.com.

put out a large quantity of products
which are NOT juniorized,

But instead often come with $$$ price tags.  The concept of NOT juniorized • and
NOT over-priced seems to be one that is still in the design stages.

True.

solicited our opinion via the website,

Which website?  LUGNET or LEGO.com?

LEGO.com - www.lego.com/myopinions/, and here as well.

and countless other behind the scenes tasks.

For those of us not privy to 'behind the scenes', can you elaborate?

I can't elaborate, becuase I'm not privy to their 'behind the scenes' work.
But, in my conversations with people who work there, there are a lot of
tasks they have to do which pave the way for projects like the ones they've
released.  Making headway inside the company, etc.  Stuff I don't know any
specifics about.

For the record, I'm only privy to one meetings' worth of information.  And,
I am not permitted to elaborate on that information either.

The guys (and gals) who work at LD are fans too.

Then as I've said before... the dialog between them and their  fellow fans
should be two way, not one way.  Dropping wonderful announcements on • LUGNET,
then never following up on questions/concerns that are raised only makes • for
frustration and head shaking.

And I agree completely.  Its up to them to decide how they will interact
with the fans.  But, one would think there would be more two way dialogue.
Or an explanation why there isn't two-way dialogue.

(I have met on multiple occasions Brad, Jake McKee, Tomas Clark, etc)

And most of us have not.  You must realize that.  If there is some great
secret of things to come, or of why things are the way there are... most • of
us aren't in on it.  The small click who has met directly with LEGO Direct
does not necessarily represent the entire of the LEGO fanbase.

And I don't know the great secret of things to come, nor do I know of anyone
else who does, outside of the people who work at LD.

I realize very few have met them, and for that reason I'm not quite on the
same wavelength regarding LD as the rest of the community.  But, I still
have a vision for the community and will still do my best to seek out the
right people to work with, inside and outside the company, to realize that
vision.

I won't stop defending criticisms of the LEGO management, but on the other
hand, I won't stop adding my constructive opinion as well.  There's a
difference between criticising someone's performance and adding construcitve
comments or disapproval for what is getting done.

We've voiced our opinions many times.  In the past, haven't strong
expressions of desire been met with a response?  Hello, spruce trees?

When was the vote on that?  Did I miss it?  Or was it something discussed • at
one of the direct meetings with Brad et all?

I recall it being discussed over the course of time on either the
lego.direct group or the dear-lego group.  If it was mentioned in a meeting,
it wasn't mentioned in a meeting where I was present.

You must realize some LEGO fans have never, and will never build a train • out
of their bricks, much less actually *buy* a train set.

Doesn't mean interaction with the train community isn't a step in the right
direction, though.

Seriously, LEGO Trains are doing a lot to get the word out about the AFOL
community.  They're a big part of who we are.  What was the first Legend
set?  Guarded Inn.  Though, when it came out, I, as a space fan, didn't
complain.

They can't help everyone at once, but they should get credit for trying.

Can they give us some idea when?  It must be in the planning stages. Or is
this confidential info.  Are they concerned that Megablocks might come out
with bulk grey bricks first?

I wish they would.  I would like to know too.  But that's their business,
not mine.

But if enough customers do complain, then that means that *someone* at the
company isn't doing a complete job.

Or the company's bureaucracy is holding things up?  Which means, someone or
some group of people have to organize things and communicate better so
things run smoother.

That's how a market economy works.  The
customers tell the companies what they want to buy and the company makes
that product.  If the company no longer makes what the customer wants, or
makes it too late, the customer goes elsewhere.  It's great to • congratulate
LEGO Direct on all they've done, but don't be afraid to keep telling them
what still needs to be done.

I'm definitely not afraid to keep telling them what needs to be done.

To only tell them what they're doing right is
actually doing them a disservice.  What if the things they are doing right
represent only 10% of all the things they are doing?  Then 90% of what
they're doing is wrong.  By not pointing out the things we are unhappy • with,
would be to doom them to failure.  I'd prefer that they succeed.

And I agree.  I'm definitely not of the 'LEGO Direct can do no wrong' camp.
I throw in more than my two cents when I have something to say.  On the
other side, give credit where credit is due.

-Tim