 Off-Topic / Debate / 15140
Re: LEGO... are you out there? Do you care? (WAS: WHY SO LONG ON BULK BRICKS?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 05:02:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Richie Dulin writes:
LUGNET is (part of) the competition for LEGO focused internet time. It
doesn't need to be selling anything.

So they make product announcements on a website that is drawing visitors
away from their own site?  I ask again... does this make business sense?

Help me understand your point Richie, you've lost me.  :)

LEGO know that (say) ten times as many people end up at LEGO.com, but
another small but significant group end up at somewhere else.

O.K. So far so good.

Now, maybe LEGO.com could become LUGNET Mk2

Mk2?  You lost me again.

, but we may not like the
implications of that happening. They couldn't really condone public
criticism of their own product on their own website, for instance, could they?

You're probably right.  But having a chat forum on their website wouldn't be
breaking any new ground.  Martha Stewart has them.  How does she deal with
negative comments, and you know there are some out there.

It could be that LUGNET (and other fan sites) are an important resource to
LEGO. And that LEGO give them the odd announcement, to make sure they know
they're appreciated.

They are an important resource, I'm not trying to downplay that concept.
But I'd rather have bulk parts than the odd announcement that gets tossed
out like an electronic bone.

A meaningful Ford analogy for you, perhaps: Do Ford Mustang fans hand around
on WWW.FORD.COM?

Two responses to this comment.

1)  The other day I was interested in finding out about products offered by
the Leatherman company.  They make those neat multi-tools that geeks like me
think we need.  I could think of only one place to head
http://www.leatherman.com.  I didn't go looking for a fan-based site hoping
the company had made recent product announements there.  I trusted that they
had the common business sense to post any and all relevant product
information on their own site first.  I found what I was looking for.

2)  You're right, the Ford analogy doesn't work very well.  But it raises an
interesting question.  What would Ford be doing selling snowboards?  Answer:
They wouldn't, it's not their business.  Which then begs the question...
What is LEGO doing selling wristwatches?

Regards,
Allan B.