 Off-Topic / Debate / *8031 (-100)
  Re: Polyamory

(...) So? Legal marriage is a mass of pitfalls, anyway. For example: (...) Although this is outside the question at hand, I certainly agree with this sentiment. But it illustrates my point as well, legal marriage is a fairly narrow band. And (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) a (...) state (...) make (...) The only problem that I see with this explanation is that it's made up. I mean, I think it is. At best it's conjecture. (...) Ummm...all of them. I assume that you mean state as in national government, not states (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) Um, EVERY US state? Polygamy is illegal, so there are many rights you lose by having an "under the books" polygamous marriage (try visiting a 2nd wife/husband in the ICU. Try asking for property from a death if you aren't specifically listed (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Polyamory (was: Religion and Science)

(...) Well, I think the role of grandparents in that family model is certainly different than the role of extra 'parents,' but I'm not sure that the difference is important. At least not to my point, which is that more adults is more of a buffer for (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) While it may work better for "bent" (non-straight, bent, same derision implied) people, polyamory certainly doesn't exclude "straight" people. Men sharing women while the women share men CAN work (not that I've tried it, but I wouldn't exclude (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) Life is full of such decisions. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

Kevin, I responded to your post above in a new thread (something more appropriate than "Religion and Science") called "Christian morality". Thanks and take care, Steve (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) That's an easy answer, but I'm not so sure it would be a comfort to the person who needed you greatly but, in your opinion, not as much as the other person. Or, worse yet, felt they needed you more, but you disagreed. eric (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Christian morality (cont)

(...) it (...) in (...) sects (...) also (...) Kevin, Thanks for your willingness to dialogue and explain your thinking a bit. I don't think you are alone at all in the concerns you've outlined above. I think most of your concerns can be addressed (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Testify, brother! I worked at a 7-11 some years ago, and a new car with the factory sticker on it pulled into the lot. Out climbed a guy in an expensive and new-looking suit, and he came in and bought his candy bar with foodstamps. On the (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) I suppose it really depends on how you let the other person view the relationship. (...) I'd choose the one who needed me most. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) Out of curiosity, Kevin, do you think it's impossible to find such a person? Or, conversely, do you think it's possible to find any combination of people to meet ALL of one's needs? Is it even necessary that ALL needs be met? I'm not blasting (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) That's great for both of you. I note with interest that you snipped away the part where I said I didn't see anything wrong with dating multiple people, as long as *all* people involved in *all* the relationships are aware of what's going on. I (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

Lorbaat wrote in message ... (...) never (...) Why do you think it's important to look for one person who does fill all ones needs, Eric? Do you think it's likely that one would find such a person? ALL needs? Your use of the term "copping out" seems (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) I was thinking of people-as-we-are-now, not people-as-we-might-possibly-be :-) Rightnow, almost everyone is brought up on the ideal of monogamy (eg all the teenage angst material about "my best friend (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: RIS 2.0 content !!!

(...) I meant slow when running, not booting... Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (URL) Lego Club: (URL) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) This is pretty typical of the crap that polyamorists spew in an attempt to make themselves seem enlightened. First of all, what state is forcing morality on anyone? As far as I know, in most state adultery isn't even illegal. Many religions (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) This makes sense, but I'm not sure the grandparents/coparents analogy holds. Note: this is all off the top of my head, feel free to throw in some real data. Grandparents are an inevitability (if they're still around when the third generation (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) I don't think so. I think that it's pretty clear that the model that is less popular in North America now than it once was, with grandparents hanging around helping is superior to the two-parent-and-2.3-kids model. In general, larger natural (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) Why do you say probably not most? (...) Right. I'm sure that if you polled people, you would find that right now they believed that such a lifestyle is not for them. But I wonder if they're just wrong because we're conditioned to only accept (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) I wonder how much of our societal unacceptance of polyamory is based on the desire for control? It would be harder for the government to keep track of stuff, but so the hell what? But for those who think that kind of control is good, I can see (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) When I was working at a Krogers in college in the Seafood dept, I had several people ask me if food stamps could be used to buy lobster. I also saw people buying sirloin with foodstamps. Why should someone that is on foodstamps be able to eat (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My ideas - Space, Castle, etc.

I would have thought it was obvious - I eat meat whenever possible, and vastly prefer it to any greenery (though a steak without a potato is lacking a bit). ;-) (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events

Actually, it is quite easy to get pregnant without losing the hymen - it DOES pass fluids. Complicating the matter is the fact that some women have been known to have hymens that heal at least once. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) I understood that the recall bill was defeated by the NDP before it could become law. In any case, it's the Alliance recall policy that I was refering to - the farther away from the people the level of govt. is, the more something like this is (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

Dave Low wrote in message ... (...) Heheh. Might move them towards treating everyone the same, single or married! (...) There's a whole polyamory subculture. Try doing a Google search, there should be plenty of hits. I first came across the term (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) Although I can imagine it would make life hard for the government! "Are you single or married? If married, to how many people of which genders?" Kevin, do you think polyamory (where did you find that expression, btw?) works better for (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

Dave Low wrote in message ... (...) happily (...) (or (...) Exactly Dave. Polyamory is something suited to some people, certainly not all, probably not most: but most people never even consider it because it's outside the social norm. No family (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low posts before he's finished, the idiot: (...) This is not to say that well-adjusted people couldn't and don't live happily as a single person or in open relationships (or as a triple or quadruple (or sextuple cf (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) I wonder about this -- maybe there are good sociological/behavioral reasons for 1+1 couples making better families (still a hot topic in Utah as far as I know). What type of marriage has been more common around the world, couples or multiple (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

Steve Thomas wrote in message ... (...) couple (...) disagreement. The widest gulf is in sexual "morals". The requirement to get married in order to have sex, for example, is one that many people nowadays don't subscribe to. Various Christian sects (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

Kevin, (...) I think we use terms like "a good and moral life" in different senses. When Christians say that atheists, agnostics, or people from other world religions lead "good, moral lives," they are speaking with reference to humanity as a whole (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is land a good? (was: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1 )

(...) I think I get it (or at least part of it). You are envisioning the scenario in which (just as an example) a person has no wealth at all, and those with wealth prevent him from obtaining any. Or even worse, fail to yield a place for him to (...) (24 years ago, 12-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) address (...) I (...) OK. That seems fair. I started to just answer, and then I went and looked tax up in m-w. It says that a tax is "1 a : a charge usually of money imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes b : a sum (...) (24 years ago, 12-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I'll answer this once search is working again. (...) I'd argue that it is more important that a society ensures its citizen has the right to shelter & sustenance... before any other right. In your dreamland, those within it have all sorts of (...) (24 years ago, 12-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I'm not calling myself a liberal, but to address this would require that one knows what you mean by taxation and thievery. I agree that taxation without representation is thievery, but I doubt that is what you are saying. What if there were a (...) (24 years ago, 12-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) it (...) Um, well, I think most people get angry sometimes. That doesn't mean that they can't be objective. And is it your contention that the use of the term 'theft' is a clear indicator of subjectivity? I have yet to hear you or any other (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO promotes drinking?!

(...) Don't forget <set:8241 road rage> :) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) You admit to being angry / bitter and use terms such as theft... it is difficult to take your argument seriously as it sounds so subjective. (...) I did before... that is why I said "This is all very circular." (...) It is not an important (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) I know I'm way late, but I was wandering through when I came across this little statement. The thought occurred to me that the cruelest thing that Jesus could do for you ++Lar is to bring you into heaven. I mean, if you've spent a major (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) As far as my understanding was, the law is in place in BC to allow a recall. However, you require 1/3rd of the votors in the riding to sign a petition within a 60 day period. (sorry, from (URL) the petition must be submitted to the chief (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) Yes - Look at B.C. - They almost had recall in place, and the NDP nixed it because they knew they'd lose their slim majority due to the outrageous antics of some of their members. They realize that it would work, and don't want to lose their (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sluggites unite with Larritarians? (was: Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events)

(...) Correction-- *a* brick. Being a Larritarian isn't hard, and it has it's rewards......[1] (...) [1] These rewards are very *tangible* I assure you all! -John (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sluggites unite with Larritarians? (was: Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events)

(...) I never completed the initiation rite (ie, the free love offering of bricks). Heck, I can't connect with ++Lar to deliver the stuff he's buying from me. Steve (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) For 99.99% of it, I do think we are on the same page. For that little .01%, I believe occasionally one might be forced to take a stand in the same way that the music industry does. James Powell, Bricksmith. (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) Just simply not true, look at BC for a example. The fact is, that for a reasonable requirement (1/3rd of registered voters, not 1/3rd of votes in last election), you will _allways_ have a very hard time getting recall. Simply because getting (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

<snip> (...) <snip> (...) Unfortunately we have a situation of "power corrupting" here. There are numerous Liberal MPs who have done outrageous things, but they just ignore the public outcry. If a "recall policy" were in place, it probably wouldn't (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes: <SNIP> (...) <SNIP> Actually, you might have copyRIGHT, but I'm not an IP lawyer, so I can't say for sure. Paul Sinasohn Writer and Instructional Designer - Editor when required LUGNET #115 (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Why then, instead of wasting our time, not just say "I'm bored with this, I'm not going to participate any more, but I didn't want to just disappear" or something? (...) When you do, what does that mean? It seems from the way you use the term, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sluggites unite with Larritarians? (was: Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events)

(...) Save for the occasional Michigoose... obLarritarians... Steve, I am surprised you haven't become officially indoctrinated and sanctified... -John (Larritarian in good standing) (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) I think I understand what the point is but, we are usually working from a picture or the actual building/engine and I don't see credits that the model is representive of a pix in Model Railroading or the the XYZ building in town A. When is a (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sluggites unite with Larritarians? (was: Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events)

(...) At this point, my cow-orkers all think I'm nuts. LOL, indeed. Wasn't there a line about "Light fuse on ++Lar, set on ground, and walk away quickly"? (...) Never heard of it. Found some links to it, but they were all dead. Seems that Dryer has (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(cross-posting to o-t.debate, this falls in between the cracks, I think. If it moves more Lego-wards, please drop .debate, vice versa if it moves more off-topic. Thanks) (...) OBDisclaimer: IMHO! I don't know James' mind(1), or yours, but FWIW, I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) In a way, there are no copyrights -- not actually. Rights are sustained by belligerent contest in court, and less formally by social custom -- but the idea that others will ACTUALLY not copy your work is illusory. Trust me, it's true. And I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) In a way, there are no copyrights -- not actually. Rights are sustained by belligerent contest in court, and less formally by social custom -- but the idea that others will ACTUALLY not copy your work is illusory. Trust me, it's true. And I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) It is because I'm getting bored with your dislike of democracy. Bored. After I read your last post I remembered this point: "Democracy is just an euphemism for mob rule, where two lions and a sheep vote on the dinner, and there should instead (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) So, in other words, "yes". 1) Fred decides Fred likes your design, and would like to have it in his train layout, in his basement. Fred has an extensive LEGO collection already, though, and has all the parts he needs. 2) Fred sits down with a (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) No. I would be upset if you went and copied the entire set from the images provided to help sell the set on my web page. (see below) (...) Guild (...) Yes, I do understand that other members do not feel exactly the same. I would be quite (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

Now I know exactly what Larry means when saying that all you do is snipe. In your earlier posts, you lured me in by saying enough to trick me into believing that you were interested in talking about it. Now, the best I get is one liners. (...) And (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) OK, so _everything_ has no copywrite? Is this what you are trying to tell me? That, because I only took something physical, and put it into a new arrangement, like these Electrons in the computer, that I don't hold any rights to exploit my (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) Moses is Musa? That explains the name of the great king of Mali (Mansa Musa). Hadn't known about that connection before! Thanks too for the "whole universe" cite--that's a bit that I didn't know either. (An excellent way to anticipate (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) That sounds more like symbiosis than exploitation? (...) How objective. (...) That is just what I meant by "all" (...) "too"? Are you making assumptions about my subconscious? (...) In your opinion. (...) This is where we started. (...) If I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I was talking about when I was a student. I think in an other of my posts I say that the system is now means tested. However, even children of high earners pay only a token amount towards education (a ninth). (...) Not now, they are in bed (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) You are mostly true here. Islam accepts Jesus (Isa) and Moses (Musa) as prophets of the god, just like many others (I think 24-25 of them are mentioned in Koran by name, including Adam/Adem Solomon/Süleyman, Simon/Ismail, Abraham/Ibrahim, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes: <snip> Hopefully this will blow over as I think we're mostly all saying about the same thing now. I missed the call to move to .debate just now but here is a response I put in to Lars Brandt (whose (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) What he said. :-/ Thanks, Franklin (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) At some level, you are correct, but there are definitely areas where you can run afoul of he law: - patents. There isn't any "fair use" type of clause for them - if you take a picture of your copy of someone else's MOC, and publish it, you may (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

Scott A wrote in message ... (...) stay (...) could (...) It used to be that students got grants to go to uni in the UK, but I thought that now (I have been away for nearly 20 years, so I'm going by what I hear from family still living there) that's (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm probably not being clear enough. To mirror your analogy, I'm saying that as long as I credit the band who wrote the song, and don't try to sell or republish the song, I can sing the song myself, as (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) (oops, missed a bit here, someone _else's_ CD that you are copying, not your own copy...here, at least, it is perfectly legal to make multi copies of a CD you own, but not any copies of one a friend of yours owns...) James Powell (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) That's like saying, as long as I credit the band who wrote the song, and don't sell the CD, I am not breaking copywrite when I copy a CD. It ain't so, and I think it is fairly plain to see that that is not so. As for the comment above, (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Wow. Why isn't everyone a student? I've been searching for an angle to allow me to go back to college and just stay there. Being a professor seems pretty good, but I'd rather just be a student forever. (...) Nifty! (But not Lar's kind of (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My ideas - Space, Castle, etc.

(...) It's perfectly ok for you to buy the jacket and not feel guilty about it. It is not ok for me to buy the jacket at all. Moral relavitism, but with some self-created absolute boundaries. Is Lego ok? Yes, because I also drive a car and use (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) But what do you think? (...) Oh, I think it's a two way street. That's why there's nothing wrong with it. When you're an employee, you're being exploited because someone is (traditionally) making money from your labor. But you're exploiting (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) Slow motion thought. I had to dredge back in my memory to come up with Ahura-Mazda for Zoroastrianism, and that it dances the line on monotheism. Found the following: "Ahura Mazda is not the only god in the universe of Zoroastrianism, and he (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events

(...) I've been out with you and seen you ogling the girls wearing Devil Horns. I've also never seen you with your shoes off. So... no comment. (...) not sure if your beef is with me or not. But suffice it to say I don't disagree with what you said (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) Busted! Yeah, I know better. Just running off at the keyboard with those pre-programmed terms. I'll also vary between Mahomet, Mohamad, Mohammad and other variations if you look close. (...) Jesus is a prophet of God, just not the most (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Everyone. (...) If I was from a low income background it would be free. Other wise, I'd have to pay a notioanl amount towards my degree (phd & school education would still be free). (...) Free inside the EU. (...) Understament. Americans do (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sluggites unite with Larritarians? (was: Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events)

(...) "Do not taunt Happy Fun ++Lar." ;) At the risk of making this less .debate and more .fun, has anyone ever seen an old magazine called "X" (which became, I believe, the strangely-monikered "Dryer Systems Magazine"), which was a counterculture (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Sluggites unite with Larritarians? (was: Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events)

(...) This is my ++Lar. Is he not nifty? Worship the ++Lar. Steve (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Marx said so. (...) It could be argued I exploietd the system could it not - that is your normal perspective. (...) Education is exploitation – what a novel way to reduce your tax bill. (...) Why not prosecute all involved? (...) I must be a (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) Ack, "Muhammadism" is a lousy term. It's a coinage of 18/19th-C. Orientalism, designed to denigrate Islam by reducing it to its Prophet. Muslims don't believe Muhammad was a (er, the) deity. They *do* deny Jesus's inherent divinity, but not (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) out (...) Do they do that for everyone or just a few? If you wanted more education would it still be free and would they still pay your survival fees? What if you wanted to study abroad? (...) This started because you claimed to live in (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

John Neal wrote in message <3A2DE97F.D6DE09@uswest.net>... (...) on their own. Why not, John? Most of the time, most of us can tell what's the right thing to do, and many of us do the right thing most of the time. Probably just as much of the time (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Many people are "exploited" if you define it widely enough. Isn't being an employee exploitation? Actually, weren't you being exploited by the system when you were going to school for free? You were being incented by the masses to behave in a (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) I surmised as much. So you can't answer the question - which is okay, since I already figured that out. Hopefully you now understand that, too (i.e. you are proceeding on faith alone). (...) Then why are you claiming here that God is provable? (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My ideas - Space, Castle, etc.

(...) A "Near Carnivore?" What does that mean? You eat *near* animals? ;) (Actually, if you have three cats, that's probably true too.) best LFB (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events

(...) Ack, my ears are burning! (Or are those my cloven hooves?) :) Guilty as charged, at least as far as history generis. (...) It's not so much that things can't be proven to occur as that human language is made up of signifiers--and like the old (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: RIS 2.0 content !!!

(...) ME does crash a lot, Windows 2000 almost never did, but I've got mine wired so it loads like 98, until you get to "Starting Windows 98," and then it says "select your desired OS" I could have 2000 or ME if I wanted. Kevin P.S. Took off (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I do not conceed that that is a victiless crime. I'm sure their are "happy hookers", but a good deal of them are being exploited. (...) They are not _my_ values - they are those of the society I live. In your LP dreamland you impose your (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) And mine. But it wasn't a really really bad dodge, merely a minor one, I'm not too upset about it. Scott, I can restate it if you want to try answering yes or no, but I think most of us know the answer already. However I don't want to put (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: RIS 2.0 content !!!

(...) Unless you reboot a lot, it's not about how long it takes to load, it's about how long it takes to do common operations. That said, I have no idea how fast ME is on common tasks compared to 2000, but 2000 has been to my perception, a bit (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: RIS 2.0 content !!!

(...) Try NT4.0. It is slow - very slow. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) The state paid my to be a student. Not very much, but enough to mean I could concentre of my studies - rather than flipping burgers. (...) It is not perfect - I agree. But the NHS is a highly respected orginisation in the UK. The poeple who (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events

(...) Actually, the first claim is not even a miracle at all, I mean "born of a virgin". AFAIK, it is a rare but normal thing. I don't know how rare or frequent it is, but it can be faced from time to time, as a doctor said to me. Sometimes, the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Religion and Science

(...) Well, being God and man at the same time is quite a trick;-) Fully human, fully divine. As for Hinduism, don't know anything about it. (...) I don't have the answer to that. And I will be the first to say that God is probably bigger than (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Knowing is not the same as causing. Parents teach their children to walk knowing that they will fall during the process. Does that mean that they pushed them? Did they cause them to fall? No, of course not. All of Gid's attributes must (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) I disagree. Faith, for me, is a subjective experience that only really makes sense to the individual. An individual's faith may be based in religious tradition or a community of worship, but ultimately belief depends on the individual. Unless (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: RIS 2.0 content !!!

(...) Mega Slow? I've got ME and it loads in about 10 seconds. 2000 Professional took about (minutes, seconds)1:30. Kevin (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) What if you wanted more education? And how did you afford to eat and stay out of the rain while pursuing your free education. (...) "Not quite" implies that it's close. From what I understand, it isn't. (...) Meaning free beer and smokes? (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact