 Off-Topic / Debate / 7996
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:53:40 GMT

Christopher Weeks writes:

I have yet to hear you or any other
liberal disprove my assertion that taxation is thievery.  (Or even to address
it beyond mocking it and me.)  Why should I fail to call taxation theivery?  I
think quite honestly that it is the most objective assessment of taxation
possible.

I'm not calling myself a liberal, but to address this would require that one
knows what you mean by taxation and thievery.  I agree that taxation
without representation is thievery, but I doubt that is what you are saying.

What if there were a tax referendum and you voted for it.
Would you call that thievery?  If so, why?

What if a tax were being used for something that benefited everyone and
there were no practical way to restrict the benefits only to those who
paid the tax.  For example, a war tax during wartime.
Further, suppose there were a national referendum on it, and you voted
against it, but it passed.  Would you call that tax thievery?
If so, why?

/Eric McC/