 Off-Topic / Debate / 7643
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:16:15 GMT

(by analogy,

<emphasis>
not trying to start a topic:
</emphasis>

But, oh what the heck...

I don't approve of
paying taxes at the current level, I just go along. I *know* we can have
"enough" government (to suit me) for less taxes and I *hope* we can have
"enough" for none at all, properly structured, but I go along)

This reminds me of an article I was reading the other day. In 1997 USA tax
at ~30% of GDP (1999 GDP / cap = $34k) whilst in the UK is was at ~34% (1999
GDP / cap = $22k) and in Denmark tax is at ~50% (1999 GDP / cap = $24k).

Denmark rejected the Euro this year, partly due to the fact that they feared
it would  result in _lower_ taxes and public services cuts. However, it was
the narrow margin between the UK/USA which surprised me more. Based on my
understanding of the differences between UK/US governmental
education/health/welfare provision I was shocked at the difference - even in
percentage terms (in $ terms we pay less tax/cap than the USA). The extra
~4% has provided me with free healthcare, free education (from pre-school to
PhD – 23 years) and welfare support. Quite good value for money.

Would you not prefer to find 4% savings in USA system to provide extra
provision, rather than a tax cut?

Not sure it's an apples to apples. I can argue it the other way round...
rather than the 4% of GDP difference giving you free healthcare, free
education and welfare support... instead, the free gov stuff has given you
$12K/cap less GDP. I like that extra GDP, it's more money in my pocket, and
my money buys more than your does per dollar too.

It appears I have dug myself a hole. GDP is not a measure of happiness – it
is only a measure of the domestic output of a nation. If wealth were
uniformly distributed, then it could be used as a measure of happiness – but
it is not in the UK, or the US.  (This is taken from my copy of Begg)

From (I have not read it all):
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ecbig/gdp.htm

"As a result the GDP not only masks the breakdown of the social structure
and the natural habitat upon which the economy--and life itself--ultimately
depend; worse, it actually portrays such breakdown as economic gain."

How do you explain the difference in GDP/cap?

I was a little surprised at the difference myself – but your economy has
been in “boom” (under “liberal” control) for some time, while the focus in
the UK has been on low inflation (~2% right now). But I do understand your
economy may be cooling…

This article balances underestimates in UK GDP with US productivity gains
(longer working hours?):
.http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1035000/1035153.stm2

Despite the difference in GDP etc, I’d still rather live in a society where
education is based on the ability to learn – not the ability to pay.

My GDP data for Denmark was wrong - these data are from the UN  @ 1998:

United Kingdom 23934
Singapore 24577
Hong Kong SAR 24581
Belgium         24692
France         24739
Monaco         24739
Finland         24934
Netherlands 24956
Austria         25911
Germany         26183
Sweden         26790
Iceland         29946
Japan         29956
USA         31746
Denmark         33085
Norway         33203
Liechtenstein 35910
Switzerland 35910
Bermuda         38652
Luxembourg 43475

Chile has 4921

So, you see, there are countries with quite high levels of social provision
& high GDP.

Scott A

After all, for quite a while the UK way outclassed the US in GDP/cap!!! Sun
never sets on the British (mercantile) empire and all that...

(aside, what was the saying, "the Irish conquer it, the Scots run it and the
English take the credit?")

Not in my part.

Scott A

++Lar