 Off-Topic / Debate / 7623
Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:21:28 GMT

This is from http://www.realchange.org/browne.htm

Spooky stuff and not at *all* good. Hornberger's site gives a better picture
and doesn't have the currency symbol problems. I haven't done the research
to tell what's real but I don't like the sound of it at all.

If you rummage around, you’ll find that there are plenty within the LP who
voice decent at every thing from your sign up clause (“I do not believe in
or advocate the initiation of force as a means of achieving political or
social goals.”), to what is the meaning of “property” or “force”.

I'm ready to move on to point 2 if you're ready to concede that the original
statement by the NPR wannabe can be interpreted two ways, one of which is
correct (that the LP as a party doesn't have broad or deep support in the
US) and one of which is incorrect (that libertarianism, the concept, hasn't
"caught on" lately).

++Lar

I think his use of the word “egalitarian” suggests he is angling more to the
threats the LP poses to those at the very bottom of society, rather than the
benefits the move towards a “free market” in the world as a whole in the
last century – but particularly in its latter part. While I was bemused at
the way you tackled my point, I think the way you interpreted the quote
(which may well have been taken out on context) was justifiable. As for
point 2, you can answer it if you wish. However, as I know you have strong
views in intellectual property rights, I’d much rather hear your view on this:

=+=
COPYRIGHTS
The attitude expressed by Libertarians is that words cannot be owned. I put
the question to a county level Libertarian Party chairman of how authors
would be able to publish books if they could not copyright their work. The
answer is that the publisher would simply keep the books in reading rooms
where people would pay to sit down and read the book. This of course is
impractical and their demands would end the modern publishing industry.
In addition to ending copyrighted reading material it would also end
copyright protection for computer software. Another modern industry that
would no longer be able to function.
=+=

(This was taken from - http://members.tripod.com/~Kevin_OConnell/bronzage.htm)

To be honest, I would not have given the above much credence if he did not
mentioned that he had spoken to what he calls “a county level Libertarian
Party chairman”.

Scott A