 Off-Topic / Debate / 7999
7998  |  8000
Subject:
Is land a good? (was: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1 )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:09:31 GMT

I'd argue that it is more important that a society ensures its citizen has
the right to shelter & sustenance... before any other right. In your
dreamland, those within it have all sorts of hypothetical rights which are
useless without property to give them access to it.

I think I get it (or at least part of it).  You are envisioning the scenario in
which (just as an example) a person has no wealth at all, and those with wealth
prevent him from obtaining any.  Or even worse, fail to yield a place for him
to stand.

I will agree that without the right to a place in which to exist, you don't
really have the right to exist.

So what's the solution?  I don't think that a liberal government rooted in the
rich tradition of banditry is good.  And more and more I'm questioning the
notion of land as a good, with the same legal status as most goods.

Does anyone out there know if there is a branch of libertarian thought that
handles this issue?

If thievery is the only answer, then I guess I'd still side with the
libertarians since while this is a clear flaw in their ideal, it wouldn't
really be practiced, while liberal thievery has only gotten worse over time
and is very real and practical.

Chris