 Off-Topic / Debate / 7729
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 18:40:48 GMT

Yes, but in the UK/EU we are far less materialistic (I am sure you have
found that). We are dull bunch, we stick our money in the bank rather than
spend it. Whereas, in the US, the average guy/gal does not save – I’m sure I
read US citizens, on average, have more credit than savings.

Without getting into the question of which is better, it nevertheless still
begs the question of why. WHY are you less interested in fun toys?

Is it proper for a government to arrange its affairs so that people HAVE to
be less materialistic to be happy? That is a moral judgement, isn't it?
Should governments make moral judgements about which (non violent)
lifestyles are "better"? I'd say not. Libertopia would have lots of room for
people that wanted to get back to their own 40 acres, build a cabin from
scratch, weave their own clothes and chop wood instead of tooling around in
their new mercedes. But it would be their *choice*.

But, I am happy with what you call "government intrusion" and I'd be happy
to pay more tax if my $$ is used well.

I don't get it, exactly.

If I can give you all the benefits of your system but with less costs, why
would you be against it? Or is it that you like the government intrusion of
saying whether the populace can own Clockwork Orange or not, to pick a
random example?

(this dodges the question of whether I can deliver said benefits or not, but
for the sake of this question, suppose I can... assuming a better system can
be created, why not pick it? That's the crux.)

++Lar