 Off-Topic / Debate / 7450
Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:13:00 GMT

LP POINT 1

Larry,
Can you please show me how wrong I am?

Scott A

From:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=7427

=+=
I liked this, it pretty much sums up my view of the LP:

Libertarians and their "I've got mine, Jack" philosphy are people who were
born on third base and think they've hit life's triple. In America's
egalitarian society it should surprise no one this cramped, neo-Victorian
philosophy has not caught on.
Russell Sadler, commentator, Jefferson Public Radio in Ashland, Oregon

There are so many fallacies, errors, and ad hominem attacks in this one,
it's hard to know where to begin. Is it your point, though? Is it the one
you want to pick? It's pretty weak.

So weak that you will not answer it? Show me this guy is wrong. Show me what
the support for LP is. Show me it is a representative cross section of the
US public.

Clearly state the question, please, along with your assumptions.

In the absence, though...

I've never claimed that the LP has massive support among the voting populace
as a political party. If it did, we'd win a lot more elections than we do.
Naturally, we're disappointed with our results in the last general election,
who wouldn't be? We expected to do a lot better. Polls as late as the day
before the election indicated that we'd outpoll Buchanan easily. And we
almost did. But the "don't throw away your vote" argument holds too much
sway, unfortunately.

What I *have* said is that small l libertarian ideas are on the ascendency,
in the main, world wide. Do you dispute that point? Do you dispute that many
countries in the world are moving in the direction of more personal and more
economic freedom? The UK certainly has, if one takes the beginning of the
Thatcher government as one's starting point.

++Lar