 Off-Topic / Debate / 7511
Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:05:55 GMT

Repeating the original cite and with much snippage of multiple quotes,
irrelevancy, signatures, etc (the interested reader knows how to follow
references upwards, or should), as always:

Libertarians and their "I've got mine, Jack" philosphy are people who were
born on third base and think they've hit life's triple. In America's
egalitarian society it should surprise no one this cramped, neo-Victorian
philosophy has not caught on.
Russell Sadler, commentator, Jefferson Public Radio in Ashland, Oregon

I'll repeat my analysis of this theme (that libertarianism isn't relevant or
hasn't caught on) by drawing on ideas and statements made in posts to this
very group, long long ago, which you've apparently not read or forgotten.

Stripping away all the commentator's gafla, the commentator's actual
assertion is that libertarian ideas "have not caught on".

Nope. Read it again. His assertion is that as America is an egalitarian
society, it rejected the LP. Basically his point is that egalitarianism is
at odds with the LP. As you well know, the  point I raised referred only to
the range of support the LP has – his reference those who are  “born on
third base and think they've hit life's triple”. Check my earlier post
asking about the demographics of LP support.

But if the world
is moving in a libertarian direction, that's patently false. So all we need
to do to refute the point is show that the world is moving in a libertarian
direction. (without regard to whether that is good or bad, as that is not
relevant to the point)

Stripping away all Scott's gafla, his argument is that because the LP isn't
winning US elections, our ideas haven't caught on (here or abroad). But it
is instructive to look at US history.

That is completely  not my point - as I have said before, I was interested
in exploring the breadth of support not the depth. Read my posts Larry.

This point has been cleared.

Move on to the next one:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=7455

<rabid text snipped>