 Off-Topic / Debate / 7519
Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:20:25 GMT

<SNIPPED>
I'd like to think that the Austrian school, the
Cato institute, and the LP all are factors in that.

You may view this as a snipe, but it is more of a BTW.

Co-chair the CATA Walfare Privatization research the the USA is Jose Pinera.
Pinera was a former minister of labor and welfare in Chile (nice dish), -
managed the privatization of Chile's pension system - under the dictatorship
of Gen Pinochet. I would have thought the LP concern about intrusive
government would extend to torture and murder?

As for Austrian Economics, I think you'll find that it has been largely left
to wither on the vine due to its adherence to the gold standard and its
belief that Economics, itself, was a soft science - inflation etc were
disregarded. However, I don't want to be harsh with on AE as it was
revolutionary at the time - I hear a certain individual won the Nobel prize
based on it.

Scott A