 Off-Topic / Debate / 7964
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 00:12:59 GMT

Scott A wrote in message ...

As much as you want?

I have had free education - pre-school to PhD.

What if you wanted more education?  And how did you afford to eat and • stay
out
of the rain while pursuing your free education.

The state paid my to be a student. Not very much, but enough to mean I • could
concentre of my studies - rather than flipping burgers.

Do they do that for everyone or just a few?

Everyone.

It used to be that students got grants to go to uni in the UK, but I thought
that now (I have been away for nearly 20 years, so I'm going by what I hear
from family still living there) that's no longer so - they are moving/have
moved to loans instead, similar to what's the system in the US and Canada.
And I must say even while I was there, grants were not universally available
(there was a means test, which the NUS (National Union of Students) was
always complaining about) - my parents paid part of my costs, and more of my
younger sister's. Even less available for postgraduate study - I only
remember grants being available for undergraduate degrees. I'm sure the
system has changed several times between 1981 and now, though.

Kevin