 Off-Topic / Debate / 7639
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:49:39 GMT

(by analogy,

<emphasis>
not trying to start a topic:
</emphasis>

But, oh what the heck...

I don't approve of
paying taxes at the current level, I just go along. I *know* we can have
"enough" government (to suit me) for less taxes and I *hope* we can have
"enough" for none at all, properly structured, but I go along)

This reminds me of an article I was reading the other day. In 1997 USA tax
at ~30% of GDP (1999 GDP / cap = $34k) whilst in the UK is was at ~34% (1999
GDP / cap = $22k) and in Denmark tax is at ~50% (1999 GDP / cap = $24k).

Denmark rejected the Euro this year, partly due to the fact that they feared
it would  result in _lower_ taxes and public services cuts. However, it was
the narrow margin between the UK/USA which surprised me more. Based on my
understanding of the differences between UK/US governmental
education/health/welfare provision I was shocked at the difference - even in
percentage terms (in $ terms we pay less tax/cap than the USA). The extra
~4% has provided me with free healthcare, free education (from pre-school to
PhD – 23 years) and welfare support. Quite good value for money.

Would you not prefer to find 4% savings in USA system to provide extra
provision, rather than a tax cut?

Not sure it's an apples to apples. I can argue it the other way round...
rather than the 4% of GDP difference giving you free healthcare, free
education and welfare support... instead, the free gov stuff has given you
$12K/cap less GDP. I like that extra GDP, it's more money in my pocket, and
my money buys more than your does per dollar too.

How do you explain the difference in GDP/cap?

After all, for quite a while the UK way outclassed the US in GDP/cap!!! Sun
never sets on the British (mercantile) empire and all that...

(aside, what was the saying, "the Irish conquer it, the Scots run it and the
English take the credit?")

++Lar