 Off-Topic / Debate / 7997
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:34:18 GMT

And I'm not sure it's even an aplicable idea since what we're talking about • it
the legislation of morality.  It is simply an opinion.

You admit to being angry / bitter and use terms such as theft... it is
difficult to take your argument seriously as it sounds so subjective.

Um, well, I think most people get angry sometimes.  That doesn't mean that they
can't be objective.  And is it your contention that the use of the term 'theft'
is a clear indicator of subjectivity?  I have yet to hear you or any other
liberal disprove my assertion that taxation is thievery.  (Or even to address
it beyond mocking it and me.)  Why should I fail to call taxation theivery?  I
think quite honestly that it is the most objective assessment of taxation
possible.

This is all very circular.

Why won't you just tell me what you think?

I did before... that is why I said "This is all very circular."

You might have told me some things that you think...though you tend to allude
to them instead of just stating it outright (and I have no idea why)...but you
failed repeatedly to answer simple questions about what you think.  I still
have no idea why you think prostitution should be illegal.  And we never even
touched on polygamy.  What I am to conclude based on your unwillingness to
assert or defend your beliefs?  Normally it means that one is incapable of
doing so.  If that's your situation, why not at least say something like "I
think it's evil and wrong but I can't explain it logically?"

I see that our argument is circular.  I keep asking what you think and you keep
either a) not answering, b) alluding to attitudes that I can't pin down, or
most recently c) falsely claiming that you've answered in the past.  The circle
here is that I want you to tell me why you disapprove of my beliefs, and you
just want to disaprove.

I'll answer this once search is working again.

Nope. I was saying I must be a prude by _your_ standards.

Well, sure, I suppose so.  But you think my standards are somehow askew?  I
generally attribute prudish attitudes to some form of discomfort
(jealousy? fear? anger?) at the knowledge that other people are engaging in
pleasurable sexual activity that for whatever reason the prude is not
comfortable engaging in himself.  So if someone is uncomfortable with
sexuality, they are exhibiting prudishness.

It is not an important point, but you are still very subjective.

What do you mean?  Of course it's subjective, if you mean our prudishness, it's
all about attitude and unconcious illogic.  If you mean that my definition of
prudish is subjective, then I would appreciate (very much!) an objective
definition and a brief explanation of the essential differences between that
definition and my own that makes it objective.

That's a little different than how I think of it, but it's about the same.  I
wonder if my vernacular understanding is more along the lines of what • everyone
else means too?  Or am I overemphasizing part of it?

Possibly.

<twitch>

I'd strive for change.

Well, that's what I do too, but you don't seem happy with it.

But my response was to an extreme hypothetical situation within an extreme
hypothetical situation within – you just don’t like democracy.

So?  Of course I don't like democracy.  I live in one.  If I lived under a
dictator, a democracy would seem great.

If an indivdual has only property which has no value, in your dreamland,
would s/he have the right to education, healthcare, food?

Of course not.  There is no right to goods.  They would have an equal right
to seek those things, but not a right to receive them.

OK. Like I said - no property, no rights.

No, whether or not one has property, one does not have the right to free goods.
And they do (still regardless of their wealth) have other rights.

Your logic (such as it is) is like saying that in the UK, since people don't
have a right to free land, but they do (sort of) have a right to own it, that
you live in a "no property, no rights" land too.  But of course that's equally
absurd as your claim about Libertopia.

I'd argue that it is more important that a society ensures its citizen has
the right to shelter & sustenance... before any other right. In your
dreamland, those within it have all sorts of hypothetical rights which are
useless without property to give them access to it.

Scott A

Chris