 Off-Topic / Debate / 7900
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:29:59 GMT

In my sytem I have the right to free education.
In my sytem I have the right to free healthcare.
In my sytem I have the right the right to social provision.
In my system a starving man has the right to food.

Is that not utopia?

Assuming those are true (that things are "free"), Dunno. Are there any
downsides or hidden costs? I of course hold there are no utopias per se.

But suppose, readdressing my question if we could, that I could give you a
system that delivered everything yours did, but didn't require the
government intrusion. Would you take it as "better" or reject it because you
preferred the intrusion?

That's the question I was getting at when I said this:

Remember, this is purely hypothetical, so no objections of practicality can
be raised (whether this system can be created is not the question at hand).

I think if you answer "I reject" we have gotten to a fundamental (and
perhaps irreconcilable) difference between us, because I in turn reject the
notion that it's OK for the majority to impose its will on everyone. That
is, I personally reject an unbounded, unfettered, unrestrained democracy in
favor of one that is tightly constrained in terms of what force can be used
to accomplish and in terms of what rights can be usurped by majority vote.

Restating, more fundamentally, is it OK for a majority to impose whatever
whim it's latched onto on the populace as a whole? If not, what limits are
appropriate, and how do you reconcile that with unlimited democracy?

I don't claim to have the answer.

++Lar