 Off-Topic / Debate / 7969
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:13:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:
Scott A wrote in message ...

As much as you want?

I have had free education - pre-school to PhD.

What if you wanted more education?  And how did you afford to eat and • stay
out
of the rain while pursuing your free education.

The state paid my to be a student. Not very much, but enough to mean I • could
concentre of my studies - rather than flipping burgers.

Do they do that for everyone or just a few?

Everyone.

It used to be that students got grants to go to uni in the UK, but I thought
that now (I have been away for nearly 20 years, so I'm going by what I hear
from family still living there) that's no longer so - they are moving/have
moved to loans instead, similar to what's the system in the US and Canada.

I was talking about when I was a student. I think in an other of my posts I
say that the system is now means tested. However, even children of high
earners pay only a token amount towards education (a ninth).

And I must say even while I was there, grants were not universally available
(there was a means test, which the NUS (National Union of Students) was
always complaining about)

Not now, they are in bed with New Labour - Shame on them. The shift has been
caused by the increased amounts of kids HE now takes in the UK. I prefer to
take the view that educated individuals will pay more tax in the longer
term, and HM Gov should pay for education that way. The key to the system is
making sure low/marginal income groups can still go to university:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/education/newsid_923000/923944.stm

- my parents paid part of my costs, and more of my
younger sister's. Even less available for postgraduate study - I only
remember grants being available for undergraduate degrees. I'm sure the
system has changed several times between 1981 and now, though.

The state will provide up to 5 years education (I think). It will not pay
for re-sit years. A Hons degree is 3-4 years. PG education is more woolly.
Some courses have funded places, others do not. To do an MPhil or PhD, one
has to find a funded project and have a good degree. The funding at this
level really does vary depending in the project. Some take the form of jobs:
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobfiles/BB998.html

Others are studentships:
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobfiles/ID705.html

Kevin