 Off-Topic / Debate / 7458
Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:49:46 GMT

LP POINT 1

Larry,
Can you please show me how wrong I am?

Scott A

From:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=7427

=+=
I liked this, it pretty much sums up my view of the LP:

Libertarians and their "I've got mine, Jack" philosphy are people who were
born on third base and think they've hit life's triple. In America's
egalitarian society it should surprise no one this cramped, neo-Victorian
philosophy has not caught on.
Russell Sadler, commentator, Jefferson Public Radio in Ashland, Oregon

There are so many fallacies, errors, and ad hominem attacks in this one,
it's hard to know where to begin. Is it your point, though? Is it the one
you want to pick? It's pretty weak.

So weak that you will not answer it? Show me this guy is wrong. Show me what
the support for LP is. Show me it is a representative cross section of the
US public.

Clearly state the question, please, along with your assumptions.

In the absence, though...

I've never claimed that the LP has massive support among the voting populace
as a political party.

That is not the point of my point:

"Show me it is a representative cross section of the US public."

I'm interested in breadth - not depth. Show me that all socio-economic
groups support the LP in a broadly representative manner - show me it is not
weighted towards "people who were born on third base and think they've hit
life's triple" as you asserted.

I'm not sure what that phrase means, exactly. It seems pejorative and seems
to (along with phrases like "cramped, Victorian") show the speaker's bias
and tendency to want to use ridicule instead of critical thinking. But I
don't believe I claimed the LP is supported broadly by "all socioeconomic
groups". Why would you expect it to be?

The libertarian claim to benefit all society... not just the poperty owning
part of it.

What matters to us is that
libertarian ideas (small l) are catching on. We don't have to win elections
to achieve that. We don't even have to get support from *all* the groups,
especially not the socioeconomic groups who are (since they were free
riding) going to be worse off, until they realise that there are no free >goods.

So you have to be cruel to be kind... I see. So, how long would it take? How
many would die? How much would crime rise by an the short term?

What you almost outpoll Buchanan easily? That implies you beat him? :)

Snipe.

No Larry, a jest :)

Scott A

What I *have* said is that small l libertarian ideas are on the ascendency,
in the main, world wide. Do you dispute that point? Do you dispute that many
countries in the world are moving in the direction of more personal and more
economic freedom?

Yep, I read that Chilli is a prime example of your principles.

Snipe.

Nope, a fact. Chilli and New-Zealand are best examples of it... along with
medieval Iceland(!). Do your research Larry.

Scott A

Do you or do you not agree that the world is moving in the direction of more
personal freedom and more economic freedom?

Tell that to starving kids in the developing world... I'm sure that'll chear
them up.

Scott A