 Off-Topic / Debate / 7427
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:41:43 GMT

Well, here in the UK, I can go round and see my MP this weekend if I wish. I
can tell her just what I think, and expect her to represent my views.

Ya, and I can call my congressman or go to his office. I can even share my
views, and the office often does give help to constitutents. But if you
equate that with "you're in control", somehow, you're confused. Your
elections are when? At least every 5 years, but basically whenever the party
in power has maneuvered things so it has the best chance of picking up
ridings.

This is common. Tough choices are made at the start of the life of a
government, implementing then is often uncomfortable. By the time the
election comes round, the “tough choice” will be producing results.

The UK press is saying that right now, most of what Blair is doing
is getting ready for the election by careful positioning. Wasn't his recent
repudiation of Thatcher just that?

Not really. Thatcher started that one. Tb would have pretty much left here
alone if he could. We do not have fixed terms in the UK so if TB were to
behave like BC did, he would be out in a matter of weeks. All it takes is a
vote of no confidence – plain an simple.

In the UK big money is not really involved (yet) so there is less scope for
old fashioned corruption. I don't doubt there is corruption in UK politics,
but I pretty sure it is less than in other walks of life. I suppose a vote
is a vote of trust.

Go back. Read my posts. Answer my points.... as I have asked repeatedly.

Sorry, I am not going to answer each and every one of your snipes in detail.

Even though you asked me to raise them?

They multiply at least geometrically. I have better things to do with my
time. I will continue to call you on your most egregious misstatements,
though. You can call that "grandstanding for the audience" if you like. In a
way, it is. I'm more concerned with the critical thinkers among the other
readers than I am with you.

You have shown yourself not to be objective Larry, not I. I'm getting the
feeling that you have no depth of knowledge on this - i may be wrong. I have
raised specific questions about the dogma you spout – and you just squirm

Tell you what though, Scott. Pick one point, one thought, one item that
you'd like to have a debate about. State it clearly, including the
assumptions and premises behind it, and I'll have a debate with you about
it. I'll let you know if you've stated it clearly enough to begin, once you
do so.

Nope. I've done it already... go back and read my posts. Answer my points
one at a time if you wish. It is time for you to either answer my points, or
stop wasting my/your time. As John Major once said - Put up, or shut up.

I liked this, it pretty much sums up my view of the LP:

Libertarians and their "I've got mine, Jack" philosphy are people who were
born on third base and think they've hit life's triple. In America's
egalitarian society it should surprise no one this cramped, neo-Victorian
philosophy has not caught on.
Russell Sadler, commentator, Jefferson Public Radio in Ashland, Oregon

There are so many fallacies, errors, and ad hominem attacks in this one,
it's hard to know where to begin. Is it your point, though? Is it the one
you want to pick? It's pretty weak.

So weak that you will not answer it? Show me this guy is wrong. Show me what
the support for LP is. Show me it is a representative cross section of the
US public.

Further, I think it rather weak the way you time-after-time snip out the
text of my messages without noting it. It may be that you are doing it to
reduce the bulk, it may be that you just can not answer my points – either
way please, observe the common courtesy of noting your snipage.

Scott A

++Lar