 Off-Topic / Debate / 7938
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:43:33 GMT

In my sytem I have the right to free education.

As much as you want?

I have had free education - pre-school to PhD.

What if you wanted more education?  And how did you afford to eat and stay out
of the rain while pursuing your free education.

The state paid my to be a student. Not very much, but enough to mean I could
concentre of my studies - rather than flipping burgers.

In my sytem I have the right to free healthcare.

No matter the cost?  At maximum quality?

Note quite, but that is the aim.

"Not quite" implies that it's close.  From what I understand, it isn't

It is not perfect - I agree. But the NHS is a highly respected orginisation
in the UK. The poeple who work in it, along with others who work in public
servcies, are amongst the most highly respected individuals in the UK. There
will be an election in the next 6 - 18 months - any party which commits to
not increasing NHS spending will simply get no votes.

In my sytem I have the right the right to social provision.

I don't know what that means.

I suppose you'd call it "Welfare".

Meaning free beer and smokes?

Nope. How persuasive, you stigmatise the vast majority of those of welfare
who are between jobs, can not work because they are unable to work in some
way, children who are victims of poor parenting with a tiny majority of
claimants. Many people who claim benefits in the UK have my up most respect,
many are widows of those who have died in past conflicts – many more
actually fought in those conflicts Naturally, in your dreamland these people
would simply starve.

In my system a starving man has the right to food.

All kinds?

Nope. But nobody should be allowed to starve.

So as much fried spinach as you can stomach, right?

I can only eat steamed spinach myself. Generally, it is not really eaten in
the UK.

In your system, do you have the right to multiple wives?

I don't want it.

And it doesn't matter to you what others want?

Is there a point to this?

Prostitution?

I don't need it.

And it doesn't matter to you what others want?

Is there a point to this? If so, make it.

Recreational drugs?

I don't need it.

And it doesn't matter to you what others want?

Is there a point to this? If so, make it. Stop wasting time.

What about other victimless (so-called)
criminal activity?

I could vote to outlaw what I wish.

That is precisely why "your system" is not utopia.  Because you reserve the
right to outlaw behaviors that do no harm but offend your aesthetic.

The crimes you list are not "victimless".

And anyway, your post was a dodge, not an answer to Larry's.

In your opinion.

I guess it was my opinion only that it was a dodge, but it is simple fact that
you avoided giving a straight answer to Larry's straight question.  I suppose
instead of a dodge, you could be so unfamiliar with English that you didn't
understand his note.  But all the evidence that I have indicates otherwise, so
I doubt that's it.

In your opinion.

Scott A

Chris