 Off-Topic / Debate / 8022
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:39:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

When I was working at a Krogers in college in the Seafood dept, I had several
people ask me if food stamps could be used to buy lobster.  I also saw people
buying sirloin with foodstamps.

Why should someone that is on foodstamps be able to eat better than someone
working for their food?  Why should the person working for their food pay for
the other to buy better food than they can?

  Testify, brother!  I worked at a 7-11 some years ago, and a new car with
the factory sticker on it pulled into the lot.  Out climbed a guy in an
expensive and new-looking suit, and he came in and bought his candy bar with
foodstamps.  On the other side of the spectrum, a known drug dealer
routinely came in during the night shift, and he'd always buy a bag of chips
or something small.  From his pocket he'd produce a big fistful of 50's and
100's, but he'd pay using a crumpled foodstamp tucked in the middle of the cash.
  Similarly, I once saw a mom and six kids trot through the store in
sequence, each trying to use a $1 foodstamp to buy a $.05 piece of gum,
netting each of them $.95 to spend on whatever they wanted.
  These are, I recognize, anecdotal examples rather than
universally-consistent standards of abuse, but they point out some of the
shortcomings of the system.

I also saw many people buying the necessities only, in order to feed a large
family when they were in tough times.  But the current system is too easy to >abuse, it needs a rework.

  What about a system of vouchers (for lack of a better word) specifically
coded for particular purchases, for which no change need be given.  A coupon
for chicken, or milk, or bread, for instance, rather than a means to fleece
the merchant et al?  I mean, if a person is living on the government dime,
whether for legitimate reasons or not, why should they not be given specific
rules for acceptable purchases?

     Dave!