 Off-Topic / Debate / 8023
8022  |  8024
Subject:
Christian morality (cont)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:49:18 GMT

The widest gulf is in sexual "morals". The requirement to get married in
order to have sex, for example, is one that many people nowadays don't
subscribe to. Various Christian sects have a variety of opinions on what • it
OK as sexual activity, ranging from "outie" in "innie" only (and only one
type of "innie" may be used!), to "it's none of our business what you do • in
private". As a gay man, I'd run foul of the opinions of many Christian • sects
that it's either immoral to *be* gay at all, or that it's OK to be gay but
*gay sex* is immoral. Sorry, I didn't sign up to be a monk :-). There's • also
the obvious Catholic problem of birth control. Polyamory too: this is a
religious shibboleth which spilled over into law (like so many things - eg
Sunday closing) and hasn't yet un-spilled, but there's no non-religious
reason why consenting adults should not form families with more than one
adult.

Kevin,

Thanks for your willingness to dialogue and explain your thinking a bit.  I
don't think you are alone at all in the concerns you've outlined above.

I think most of your concerns can be addressed in reference to the
traditional understanding of marriage.  Consider the following account of an
interaction between Jesus and the religious leaders of his day:

-----
And some Pharisees came to Him, testing Him, and saying, "Is it lawful for a
man to divorce his wife for any cause at all?"

And He answered and said, "Have you not read, that He who created them from
the beginning made them male and female, and said, 'For this cause a man
shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two
shall become one flesh'?"

Consequently they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has
joined together, let no man separate.

[Matthew 19:3-6, NASB.  Note that Jesus is referencing Genesis 2:24 in this
passage.]
-----

Jesus appeals to "one flesh" communion between husband and wife as his
argument against divorce.  Question for you: Do you understand what He means
by "becoming one flesh"?  (For the record, I didn't understand the concept -
I had never heard it explained in church, either - until about two years ago
when I ran across an article by a respected Catholic philosopher.)

Take care,

Steve