 Off-Topic / Debate / 8247
Re: Christian morality (cont)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:09:53 GMT

Steve Thomas wrote:

I went on to suggest another example of our recognition of teleology:

Here's the other side of the coin: It's also possible
with technology to breed paralytics, those blind/deaf/dumb,
or people missing their limbs or other bodily systems.
Is an individual who has been genetically altered to
be blind entitled to their sight in some way?  Are they
genuinely missing something?

You responded with, "If they request it, yes...If they believe they are,
yes.  If they believe they are not, then no.  It's not up to anyone but THEM
to decide."

Applying this to Lott's case, I think we arrive at the conclusions I
outlined above: "If Lott believes that he is not missing out on something
[intellectually and/or morally], he is not.  It's not up to anyone but HIM
to decide."

Turning to the more specific point, I personally find it odd that you are
willing to say that if a person's sight were genetically eliminated by other
human beings that there would be no sense of the individual missing
something.  I think that most people would understand that to be crippling
to the individual, if not a great injustice.

You must not have talked to very many blind people.  Many consider it an
inconvenience, not crippling.  Only the blind can truly state whether it is
crippling or not, and that on a personal basis.

More than that, your position would logically lead to the fact that if we
could genetically breed individuals _without certain desires_, there would
be no obligation on our part to see that they were outfitted with those
features (of whatever kind) that they might be without due to our
intervention.  Again, I find this counterintuitive.

Good luck breeding/not breeding desires ;-)

Would you also, based upon someone's desires (according to what you've said
above), put as much weight into someone's "entitlement" to having, say, eyes
surgically installed in their palms, or three additional pairs of arms being
attached to their sides, as you would applying medical technology to help a
blind person see?

IF we had the technology to do so, and IF the person requested it, and IF they
could pay for such modifications, why would you deny them?  I wouldn't say they
were entitled to them, but I also wouldn't deny them.

I think pianists would love to have extra fingers.  I know *I* would when
working on cars or playing with Lego.  A third/fourth arm/hand would be handy
too ;-)

Are you willing to say that one is not more deserving
than the other?

No, I'm not.  "Deserving" doesn't enter the equation.  DESIRE of that individual
does, however (as long as it doesn't hurt others).

Finally, you wrote:

BTW, I'm getting kind of tired of everyone stating
Christian Morality as something that just popped
into existence in the Bible, like it never existed
before then.  Pishtosh.  True Morality (capital M)
existed long before Christians wrote it down, they
can't lay claim to it as being Their Idea.

The Bible says as much, Todd.  As far as I know, no Christians believe that
it "popped into existence" when the ink and paper of the Scriptures finally
met.  Paul, for example, speaks to this point in the first chapter of
Romans.  What I've articulated so far finds a great deal of support from
thinkers like Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, and others in the Western Tradition.
The greatest contribution of Augustine and Aquinas was their synthesis - the
"finding coherence between" - of Christian belief and the works of Plato and
Aristotle, respectively.  So both the Bible and the tradition of the church
acknowledge a Morality that can and is known at some level by all men
(typically referred to as general revelation by theologians) apart from
Scripture.

Of course, I do believe that the TM is (ideal) Christian morality, but
everyone has to take a position at some point; the question is always, Which
worldview is true?  Which provides an adequate ontological account of that
morality?

Do you believe in a "True Morality" - capital "M"?

Yes I do.  And I believe it has nothing to do with Christianity or ANY other
religion whatsoever, except that religions codified it in literature.  They
can't lay claim to CREATING it, only codifying it.