 Off-Topic / Debate / 8059
Re: Christian morality (cont)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:41:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Thomas writes:

Two persons - one male and one female - not
one, and not three (or more), can procreate a child.  Take away the
reproductive principle grounding marriage (as homosexuality does) and you
also dissolve the exclusivity of marriage (as polygamy does).

More directly, homosexuality may be understood as the alternate extreme from
rape.  Rape is a violation of other unities (emotional and dispositional,
though not bodily) that marriage enjoins because it occurs without the
consent of the individual.  Homosexual relationships may seek to fulfill
those unities, but forsake the final (consummating) unity of the bodily
aspects of the individuals involved - oddly, in the very aspects directly
involved in the acts in question.

Does this mean that you beleive that a person who is, for whatever reason,
infertile should never seek out the other kinds of completion involved in a
romantic/sexual union with a member of the opposite sex?  Your reasoning for
finding homosexuality immoral would also find that kind of marriage equally
immoral, right?

Does your answer change if the infertility is caused by:

1) An operation that the person has (vasectomy, tubes tied, etc)
2) A physical accident?
3) A disease?
4) A congenital defect?

Just wondering,