 Off-Topic / Debate / 8163
Re: Christian morality (cont)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

The fact is that you've cited artificial changes - changes requiring
intervention - to human biology to achieve the ends you've described.  So if
homosexuals were genetically or otherwise altered to reproduce among
themselves, would homosexual relations still be immoral?  Yes, they would.

This brings up a larger argument - are these changes "artificial"?

I contend they are not.  Evolution can come in many forms, and we are simply
accelerating it with our own discoveries.  If those changes are created by
humans, I contend they are not "artificial".  "External influences to our
evolution", maybe, but not artificial.

  Tom, you are 100% correct.  Wearing clothing is "artificial," but it
certainly has an effect on evolution.  Going to the doctor is "artificial,"
but unquestionably allows certain individuals to pass on their genes, when
they might not otherwise have been able.  If "artificial" is taken to mean
"outside of or against nature," then nothing humankind can do is artificial.
To suggest otherwise is to elevate humans somehow above nature.

Here's the other side of the coin: It's also possible with technology to
breed paralytics, those blind/deaf/dumb, or people missing their limbs or
other bodily systems.  Is an individual who has been genetically altered to
be blind entitled to their sight in some way?
Are they genuinely missing something?

If they believe they are, yes.  If they believe they are not, then no.  It's >not up to anyone but THEM to decide.

  Again, 100% correct.

     Dave!