 Off-Topic / Debate / 8155
Re: Christian morality (cont)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:57:40 GMT

Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  You wrote:

I don't even know whether it's possible for this
discussion to change either of our views. It
seems to me that we start from such different basic
assumptions that whatever logic or reason we apply,
we are bound to end up with different conclusions.
I might agree with all your rational arguments,
as arguments... except that since I don't share the
starting point, I don't agree with the conclusions.

Well, you know more about my basic assumptions, I think, than I do about
yours.  If you care to take a moment to state the differences, as you
understand them, perhaps we could build a bridge or two.  Also, I think it's
rare that any one line of argumentation changes someone's mind overnight,
and in particular where motivations as powerful as sexual habits and
appetites are concerned.

More specifically, though - as I've already mentioned - I don't believe that
the ethic I described depends on any specific connection to Christianity.  I
cited the words of Christ, that's true, but I appealed to him in much the
same way that Aquinas appealed to Aristotle: as a source consistent with the
position espoused.

Here's a question for you, on the more general
subject of christian morality:

Why does it change so much?

From one sect to another, and from one century to
another, what moral and what's not changes quite
considerably. The obvious current division is between
Catholics who are not allowed to use certain birth
control methods, and other christians who are. Are
they not both christian? Who is right?  Some Christian
sects now bless homosexual unions. Are they reading
different books from the ones you quoted? Historically
things change even more startlingly: I don't need to go
into the parade of historic events approved and even
initiated by the christianity of the time which would
now be seen as horribly immoral. Thou shalt not kill...
unless it's an Albigensian heretic, a greek Orthodox
christian (if you're a frustrated crusader with time to
kill in Constantinople), a Protestant (if you're an English
catholic under Mary I), a Catholic (if you're an English
protestant under Elizabeth I a few years later), a German
(if you're a Brit in WW1 or II), an englishman (if you're
a German in WWI or II), a native american (if you're an
American pioneer in the 19th c)..... ect etc etc.

Is it likley to change more? (yes :-)   ). What will it
change to?

Big question.  I would respond by saying that Christian Morality (capital
'M') has never changed, although Christians have both changed and fallen
short across time and culture.  The standard remains constant despite
efforts to the contrary.

There are a variety of reasons for the record of inconsistencies you
mentioned above.  Some are epistemic - we don't have a completely detailed
and explicit account of morality in the Bible; rather, we have a lot of
history (from which we can derive principles) and some explicit instruction.
It's just a fact of human existence that we are limited and we make
mistakes.  And it should not go without mention, despite its rigorous
intellectual tradition on the whole, that the church has often failed to
educate its people.  I think that's particularly true of this last 100 or
150 years.  As a result, the church today in many cases is just as
postmodern as the culture around it, and "Christian morality" is left up to
the individual.  The other primary reason is that many who have called
themselves Christians have exploited the name of Christ to further their own
agendas: power, wealth, pleasure...you name it.

My advice to anyone looking in at Christianity from the outside is to look
to the person of Christ, not to those who take his name.  It's a shame one
can't do the latter.  That hasn't always been true; the early church often
formed its apologetic in the form of an appeal: "Examine our lives..."

Nope, not taking any of it as a personal attack.
The stuff you quoted did make me feel *indignant*
when I read it, but not at you personally. That's
why I waited before replying. I haven't seen the
kind of arguments you quoted anywhere else, so
I'm still interested.

Kevin

Well, at least I've got your interest.  I think the next line of
argumentation (concerning sex outside of marriage) may have more appeal for
you; it may also be the "long way around" to the same conclusions I
presented earlier.

Take care, and thanks again for your willingness to dialogue.

Steve