 Off-Topic / Debate / 8185
Re: Christian morality (cont)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:27:31 GMT

Steve Thomas wrote in message ...
Big question.  I would respond by saying that Christian Morality (capital
'M') has never changed, although Christians have both changed and fallen
short across time and culture.  The standard remains constant despite
efforts to the contrary.

Stipulated for the sake of argument that this is so, how can anyone tell
which of the current brands of christianity are closest to Christian
Morality - the "real thing"? What is that core which has never changed:
which bits of the current version are genuinely unchanging, and which are
simply the current approximation-to? How can anyone tell?

As I'm sure you know, the idea of homosexuality as immoral is one of the
pieces that are currently changing, so there are self professedly christian
sects out in the world with attitudes ranging from "God Hates Fags" to
blessing homosexual unions. Who's right? How do you know?

My advice to anyone looking in at Christianity from the outside is to look
to the person of Christ, not to those who take his name.  It's a shame one
can't do the latter.  That hasn't always been true; the early church often
formed its apologetic in the form of an appeal: "Examine our lives..."

Difficult. I would characterise the authors of the NT and all the thological
theorists you quoted earlier as "those who take his name" rather than the
"person of Christ".

Take care, and thanks again for your willingness to dialogue.

Thanks for not degenerating into the usual yelling match that religious
discussions become!

Kevin