 Off-Topic / Debate / 8156
Re: Christian morality (cont)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:59:16 GMT

Mr. Powell,

Thanks for your feedback.  You responded to part of what I had said as
follows:

Rape is a violation of other unities (emotional and
dispositional, though not bodily) that marriage enjoins
because it occurs without the consent of the individual.

So, what you are saying is that rape cannot exist within
a marrage?  Is this part of what you are trying to say?
That a woman should be no more than a hole for a man?
In spite of 50 years or more of court (and moral) decisions?

No, I'm not saying that at all in the sense in which you are using the term
"marriage".  I was not thinking of marriage in the legal sense, but in the
sense of its definition.  If marriage is the union of persons as I described
earlier, obviously it is in violent contradiction with rape.

I _dislike_ that viewpoint, and hope you don't support it.
I also hope that you are _not_ trying to claim that homosexual
relationships all involve rape, either emotional or physical.

If the argument is correct, a question we could ask is, Can someone consent
to something that is by definition immoral?  If not, then in principle it
would be impossible to give informed consent to any behavior that violates
the principles behind marriage.

Take care,

Steve