 Off-Topic / Debate / 8010
Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:50:13 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Nope. How persuasive, you stigmatise the vast majority of those of welfare
who are between jobs, can not work because they are unable to work in some
way, children who are victims of poor parenting with a tiny majority of
claimants.

Show me the numbers.  The only people that I have personally known who were
receiving aid of this type fell into two categories.  They were either college
students who screwed up and had kid(s) before they could really pay for them,
or MUCH more often, they were not at all interested in working for a living.  I
spent a few years cashiering at a convenience store on the verge of a quite
poor neighborhood.  People would routinely bring their $1 foodstamps in for a
$.05 piece of candy, get the $.95 in change, and buy cigarettes.  Oddly, it
would turn out that they would have forgotten one piece of candy and do the
same thing then buy a pint of cheap vodka or 40 oz. of beer.  You can't take my
personal experience away.  I knew literally hundreds of these people.  Worst of
all is that some of them worked (for cash) at the rug cleaners down the block
from my first 7-11 so that they got money from working (a good thing) but
continued to recieve their government cheese and income (a bad thing).

Hundreds of them engaged in this game just in the little market where I worked
in St. Louis County, Missouri.  How many in all of St. Louis County?  How many
in the US.  We are being milked.  And we are fools for allowing it.

When I was working at a Krogers in college in the Seafood dept, I had several
people ask me if food stamps could be used to buy lobster.  I also saw people
buying sirloin with foodstamps.

Why should someone that is on foodstamps be able to eat better than someone working
for their food?  Why should the person working for their food pay for the other to
buy better food than they can?

I also saw many people buying the necessities only, in order to feed a large family
when they were in tough times.  But the current system is too easy to abuse, it
needs a rework.