 Off-Topic / Debate / 7520
7519  |  7521
Subject:
Freedoms in Libertopia? (was Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:30:14 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message
Not sure I understand the question-- are you asking me why I would still • make
it a crime to drive a vehicle under the influence of drugs?  Because if • you
are, then you are more obtuse than I thought.

   Oh I know the answer John, the question was more rhetorical, so I am not
really offended nor even surprised by your attack.

Well, here's my point.  I am all for personal freedom, but even in Libertopia
we need to draw some lines.  Hey, use all the drugs you want; it's your life
to ruin.  As long as you do it with the understanding that there won't be any
free gov programs to straighten you out (only private organizations such as
churches).  But when it comes to driving where there is a great need for
responsibility (which would be instantly shown to be NOT the case if a person
tried to drive under the influence), then penalties need to be harsh.

I suppose we are talking semantics here, because you might say that all is
legal and if someone killed me while driving drunk, that's my tough luck, but
the person (if caught) would have to pay reparations to my family.  I would
say arrest the person for committing the crime of driving in the influence AND
murder and make them work off their debt to society.  Civil action against the
drunk would be possible as well from my surviving family.

I would gladly support a crime fighting force which actively sought out such
drivers and arrested them *before* they had the chance to ruin others' lives.

-John

Hopefully you at least
answered in your head since you didn't answer it here.  Hopefully, you can
only lie to yourself so many times.