 Off-Topic / Debate / 8013
Re: Religion and Science
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:42:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

but there's no non-religious reason why consenting adults should
not form families with more than [two] adult[s].

I wonder about this -- maybe there are good sociological/behavioral reasons
for 1+1 couples making better families

I don't think so.  I think that it's pretty clear that the model that is less
popular in North America now than it once was, with grandparents hanging around
helping is superior to the two-parent-and-2.3-kids model.  In general, larger
natural systems are more stable and contain more inherent buffer.  I think that
more adults in a family would help.

I think the main reason that greater than two families don't more regularly
form is that we're all a bit off mentally.  We're all so scared and posessive
that we can't make it work.  Also, it's easier to hold a smaller group together
in many ways.  Have you ever gone with one person to pick out a movie at the
rental place?  What about with six?

(still a hot topic in Utah as far as I know).

I don't think it's really a 'hot' topic at this point.  It's been a long time
since the LDS church supported polygamy.

Where does serial monogamy fit in?

I think it's the most common.

Chris