 Off-Topic / Debate / 8031
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:47:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Lorbaat wrote:

First of all, what state is forcing morality on anyone?

Um, EVERY US state?  Polygamy is illegal,

So?  Legal marriage is a mass of pitfalls, anyway.  For example:

Many states still outlaw same-sex marriages, denying partners
many
rights that "common" people have (barbaric!).

Although this is outside the question at hand, I certainly agree with this
sentiment.  But it illustrates my point as well, legal marriage is a fairly
narrow band.  And frankly, it's not even what I'm talking about.

Note that it is NOT illegal to have multiple partners, or to date multiple
people, or even to commit adultery (in most states).

Why should we legislate
their
morality on this?

What about my post made you think I was saying it should be illegal?

or 2) really enjoying having open relationships for the more
obvious reasons.

Definitely nothing wrong with that if all in the relationship are fine with
the
situation.

What about my post made you think I disagree with this sentiment?  Certainly
not the part where I directly said it was how I felt.

Prove it is NOT inborn

Jesus, Tom.  It's impossible to prove a negative.  You're intelligent enough to
know that.

eric