 Off-Topic / Debate / 8015
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:08:31 GMT

One guy I know says that monogamy was originally established by an
overcontrolling power structure way back to keep people dependent on the
state.
His assertion is that all our needs shouldn't be depending on one partner,
because those shoes are just too large to fill by one person.  If nothing
else,
because of the differences in the way men and women think, we need a man and a
woman who are so close that we could call them a spouse, but better yet,
several of each.  By forcing a false morality that demands monogamy, the state
keeps people off balance and more dependent on authority.

This is pretty typical of the crap that polyamorists spew in an attempt to make
themselves seem enlightened.

First of all, what state is forcing morality on anyone?  As far as I know, in
most state adultery isn't even illegal.  Many religions frown on having *any*
sexual partner without the express purpose of procreation, so it's not as
though some overarching religious institution is telling you that one
partner=good, and many partners=bad, either.  And what supervillian-esque cabal
is supposed to have come up with this "plan"?  "Ah, yes, by making them all
seek one partner, we can keep them off-balance!  Muhahahaha!"  Please.

In all my debates with polyamorists, and reading about polyamory, I've never
seen or heard anything to sway me from my opinion that polyamorists are
basically either 1) copping out on looking for one person who does fill all
their needs, or 2) really enjoying having open relationships for the more
obvious reasons.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either 1 or 2, as long as all the
people in said relationships are aware of the ground rules, but I do think that
trying to pass it off as "enlightened", or, even worse, some kind of inborn
sexual preference (like being hetero-, bi-, or homo- sexual) is just a load of
denial.

eric