 Off-Topic / Debate / 8006
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:29:56 GMT

Dave Low wrote in message ...
Although I can imagine it would make life hard for the government! "Are you
single or married? If married, to how many people of which genders?"

Heheh. Might move them towards treating everyone the same, single or
married!

Kevin, do you think polyamory (where did you find that expression, btw?)

There's a whole polyamory subculture. Try doing a Google search, there
should be plenty of hits. I first came across the term when I went to a
workshop at a Bi conference a few years ago. Basically, it means loving more
than one person at a time: whether any of them are legally married or not is
pretty much irrelevant. It also implies consenting adults: messing around
with a co-worker behind ones spouses back doesn't count!

works better for non-straight people? I can imagine there's less of the

From what I've seen, most poly people are bi, some are het, some are gay or
lesbian. People who identify specifically as polyamorous tend to be either
bi or het. Not sure why that is, whether gays and lesbians have enough to do
dealing with one label without adding another, or what. I see a lot of
polyamorous *behaviour* in the gay and lesbian communities without it being
labelled as such.

"Obey me my wives and servants" kind of thing than in most polygamous
families.

Well, there can be that going on, but it's less likely to be along
traditional gender lines and can be (not always) out in the open and agreed
upon rather than covert and assumed.

Kevin