 Off-Topic / Debate / 8028
8027  |  8029
Subject:
Polyamory (was: Religion and Science)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:29:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

This makes sense, but I'm not sure the grandparents/coparents analogy holds.

Well, I think the role of grandparents in that family model is certainly
different than the role of extra 'parents,' but I'm not sure that the
difference is important.  At least not to my point, which is that more adults
is more of a buffer for child-rearing, conversation, finances, interest
sharing, sexuality, etc.

Note: this is all off the top of my head, feel free to throw in some real
data.

Nah, why do that.  Actually, I don't have any other than annecdotes.

Grandparents are an inevitability (if they're still around when the
third generation is born), and are automatically bonded to their children

But not inevitably around.  I never lived with any of my grandparents.

Relationships within
conventional families can get pretty tangled, and I think polyamorous(?)
families, especially those with multiple sexual relationships, might have
much more complex and complicating family loyalties.

Maybe, but the reports from those who've done it dont suggest so.  It seems
more (from the successes at least) that everyone loves everyone and that the
family as a whole takes responsibility for the kids, with less consideration to
genetic relatedness.  Even my son has four parents (in two houses) and reaps
benefits as a result.

Also, I'm not sure if it's wrong for some/most people to be scared
and possessive.

What do you mean by 'wrong'?  It seems unhealthy, but I wouldnt call it immoral
or anything.

I'm sure that polyamory is very threatening to many people
who seek commitment and exclusivity in a relationship ("How absolute is your
commitment to me when you're sleeping with Sean or Sharon?"), and I'm not
sure that such monogamous desires are necessarily neurotic.

I guess I'm not willing to say that I'm sure of that, but I think it's so.  I
think that people seek exclusivity because they think it's the only way to get
commitment.  But it isn't.

(tangent: would widespread polyamory facilitate gays and lesbians
having children?)

I suppose it would.  OTOH, the homosexuals who want kids, arrange to produce
them now, so I'm not sure that would be a clear benefit.

Chris