 Off-Topic / Debate / 7955
Re: Religion and Science
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:11:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
That is why I can fully believe in His words.  Other prophets are conduits and are
subject to human error and fallibility.  Jesus was unique.  I am not necessarily
negating other prophets and their messages (unless they actively deny Jesus' deity).

Again, this does not address my question.  It just makes a claim, but offers
no reason to accept it over any other claim beyond that you believe it.

Maybe I have no reason to convince you to accept it over others.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have made the claims you did.

As I mentioned before, I
condemn no other religion (qualify: which asserts monotheism), unless it actively *denies*
Christianity.

And the other guys are saying the exact same thing (and Christianity
*denies* them).  So, again, why should I believe one over the other?  And
let me note that your qualifier means you actively condemn Hinduism
(polytheism) and Buddhism (which says you can believe in whatever gods you
want to, but that implies polytheism is okay).  This means the only
remaining major religion that you don't condemn is Mohammadism.  And that
one doesn't admit that Jesus is God - I don't know if that counts as a
denial of Christianity.

  Ack, "Muhammadism" is a lousy term.  It's a coinage of 18/19th-C.
  Orientalism, designed to denigrate Islam by reducing it to its
  Prophet.  Muslims don't believe Muhammad was a (er, the) deity.

Busted!  Yeah, I know better.  Just running off at the keyboard with those
pre-programmed terms.  I'll also vary between Mahomet, Mohamad, Mohammad and
other variations if you look close.

  They *do* deny Jesus's inherent divinity, but not his divine
  inspiration.  The importance to them is that Muhammad was the
  *last* Prophet of God, and so carries the "final build", if you
  will, of His Word.  I'm not sure Islam denies Christianity,
  however--they refer to Christians as "people of the Book."
  Misguided people, but honestly so, and thus still kin.

Jesus is a prophet of God, just not the most important one.  Since
Christianity is based on the divinity of Christ, they deny it in a sense.  I
meant that more as John may regard that as a denial, not so much what
Muslims believe.  Anyway, your expansion on what I said is accurate so far
as my understanding goes (for anyone reading this and unfamiliar with the
Islamic faith).

  Islam has the great attractions that its only holy book was
  most definitely written by one person (although again, 'from
  the mouth of God').  The historical records are also a heck
  of a lot better, although the miracle issue is just as foggy.

  So that leaves (maybe) the Jews and Muslims...oh, and the
  Zoroastrians.  They're probably OK too. :)  (Yes, there are
  still some around--about a hundred thousand, in Iraq and Iran.)

I wasn't counting the Jews or Zoroastrians as a major religion (in terms of
number of followers).  Animism abounds, but I don't know of a single major
religion that typifies it.  I like the cosmic balance bit from Zorastrians:
there is good and evil in the world, and we get to tip the balance in one
direction or the other by our actions.  But then again, I like the bit about
dieing with a sword in my hand and cavorting with valkyries....

-->Bruce<--

  best

  LFB