 Off-Topic / Debate / 7950
Re: Religion and Science
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:28:39 GMT

That is why I can fully believe in His words.  Other prophets are conduits and are
subject to human error and fallibility.  Jesus was unique.  I am not necessarily
negating other prophets and their messages (unless they actively deny Jesus' deity).

Again, this does not address my question.  It just makes a claim, but offers
no reason to accept it over any other claim beyond that you believe it.

Maybe I have no reason to convince you to accept it over others.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have made the claims you did.

As I mentioned before, I
condemn no other religion (qualify: which asserts monotheism), unless it actively *denies*
Christianity.

And the other guys are saying the exact same thing (and Christianity
*denies* them).  So, again, why should I believe one over the other?  And
let me note that your qualifier means you actively condemn Hinduism
(polytheism) and Buddhism (which says you can believe in whatever gods you
want to, but that implies polytheism is okay).  This means the only
remaining major religion that you don't condemn is Mohammadism.  And that
one doesn't admit that Jesus is God - I don't know if that counts as a
denial of Christianity.

   Ack, "Muhammadism" is a lousy term.  It's a coinage of 18/19th-C.
   Orientalism, designed to denigrate Islam by reducing it to its
   Prophet.  Muslims don't believe Muhammad was a (er, the) deity.
   They *do* deny Jesus's inherent divinity, but not his divine
   inspiration.  The importance to them is that Muhammad was the
   *last* Prophet of God, and so carries the "final build", if you
   will, of His Word.  I'm not sure Islam denies Christianity,
   however--they refer to Christians as "people of the Book."
   Misguided people, but honestly so, and thus still kin.

   Islam has the great attractions that its only holy book was
   most definitely written by one person (although again, 'from
   the mouth of God').  The historical records are also a heck
   of a lot better, although the miracle issue is just as foggy.

   So that leaves (maybe) the Jews and Muslims...oh, and the
   Zoroastrians.  They're probably OK too. :)  (Yes, there are
   still some around--about a hundred thousand, in Iraq and Iran.)

   best

   LFB