 Off-Topic / Debate / 7956
Re: Veracity, the historical record, and supernatural events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:19:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
n.b. I'm no historian, and I'd love to have LFB chime in here, this is his
area of specialty.

  Ack, my ears are burning!  (Or are those my cloven hooves?) :)

I've been out with you and seen you ogling the girls wearing Devil Horns.
I've also never seen you with your shoes off. So... no comment.

Nevertheless we still can (and SHOULD) reason about what we believe the
historical record to be, based on our estimates of the veracity of the
evidence presented. This aligns with the scientific method.

  Okay.  Big big BIG beef.

not sure if your beef is with me or not. But suffice it to say I don't
disagree with what you said in the next paragraph, per se.

  The West has never been fully honest
  with itself as regards cliometry (the measure of history); we
  still teach people that history is something certain and definite
  that can be known through science--and that it is, therefore, a
  "social science".  It's not.  It's a liberal art like language or
  literature, not a "science" like sociology or even anthropology
  (which I actually have some issues with as well, but that's another
  rant for another day).

At least I don't THINK I do. To the extent that history is a recitation of
facts I think those facts are amenable to validation or falsification via
the scientific method. To the extent that history draws conclusions, it's no
longer descriptive and thus is, as you say, a liberal art.

Do you disagree with that? I don't think that it conflicts with the point I
am making, that we can and should attempt to validate or falsify historical
factual claims as a precursor to trying to understand their meaning or
implications. (validate the miracle before accepting it as a proof of
divinity when it is so offered)

That faith I haven't got.

That faith I haven't needed.

  I'd argue that you do have faith--it's just pointing the other
  way.  (See the message I posted yesterday.)  Not that this is
  in any way impugning your reasoning, just pointing out that some
  degree of faith is necessary to believe that science will keep
  refining its explanatory power.  To some degree we all have that
  same faith, every time we flip a light switch or look at our
  wristwatches.

I went down this road before and didn't get all the way to the end. Yes, it
takes "faith" in our senses and their validity, yes it takes "faith" in
logic to use it to reason about things, etc. But I think that's a semantic
sort of faith, not the same sort that is required to believe in the
supernatural.

++Lar