 Off-Topic / Debate / 8017
Re: Religion and Science
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:46:23 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:

Polyamory is something suited to some people, certainly not
all, probably not most:

Why do you say probably not most?

I was thinking of people-as-we-are-now, not people-as-we-might-possibly-be
:-)  Rightnow, almost everyone is brought up on the ideal of monogamy (eg
all the teenage angst material about "my best friend stole my boyfriend"
etc), even if only serial monogamy, so the idea of polyamory has to first
occur (or be introduced) to someone, then they have to have an open enough
mind to consider it, then act upon the idea. It's not usual for the ideal of
monogamy not to "take".

Whether most people are potentially capable of polyamory is an unanswerable
question right now. Maybe they are, but we can't know due to the heavy
societal conditioning.

Kevin