 Off-Topic / Debate / 8019
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:00:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:

I personally have no interest in looking for one person to fill all my
needs, and I don't see that that's anyone else's business. Nor do I want to
try to fill all my partner's needs, nor does he want me to.

That's great for both of you.  I note with interest that you snipped away the
part where I said I didn't see anything wrong with dating multiple people, as
long as *all* people involved in *all* the relationships are aware of what's
going on.  I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

But I don't see a difference between that and simply dating around, not taking
any relationship to a deeper level.  I know that polyamorists like to think
they are having a deeper relationship with all the people they're currently
seeing, but I have to reject that idea- how deep can your relationship with X
be if you are thinking about seeing Y later, or looking for a possible Z?

And, to get to the point where it *always* breaks down- if catastrophe befell
both X and Y at the same time, how would you choose with whom to be?  If both X
and Y reached some sort of pinnacle in their lives at the same time, with whom
would you choose to celebrate?  You aren't really opening up and sharing your
life with someone if there's the chance when they need you, you won't be there
because of someone else.  And, once again, that's fine with me- but it's not
the same as committing to a single person.

eric