 Off-Topic / Debate / 7991
Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 02:01:02 GMT

Yes - Look at B.C. - They almost had recall in place, and the NDP
nixed it because they knew they'd lose their slim majority due to
the outrageous antics of some of their members.  They realize that
it would work, and don't want to lose their perks & privilege.

SRC

As far as my understanding was, the law is in place in BC to allow a recall.
However, you require 1/3rd of the votors in the riding to sign a petition
within a 60 day period.

(sorry, from http://bbs.qp.gov.bc.ca/bcstats/96398_03.htm#div1-part3
--
(a) the petition must be submitted to the chief electoral officer within 60
days after the date on which the petition was issued under section 20;

(b) the petition must be signed by more than 40% of the total number of
individuals who are entitled to sign the recall petition under section 21.
--

So, just like the US, we are in a representitive republic (wow) rather than a
athenian democracy.  Big deal.  I mean, I haven't seen you running under the

But, the law still stands (at least, as far as I can tell...I don't have the
time to do more research, but I don't think that it has been annuled(?)-crown
printer usually only has current laws).  It certanly was still in effect 1.5
years ago, when I left BC.

It might be _hard_ to forfil the aspects of the law, but that is rightly so...I
don't want someone to be a sour looser and start a recall as soon as the other
person gets into office, which is what would happen if you had as low as 33% of
the votes cast (which seems to be what you want...not sure, perhaps you could
articulate what your views are on the % that is required?)

James