 Off-Topic / Debate / 7739
Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 20:41:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Low writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:

  <snip>
That's why the Alliance policies of referendum and recall
(if an elected member doesn't vote according to the wishes of
his constituents they can force a by-election).

I would think this is unnecessary: if someone does the dirty on their
party for no good reason they'll usually be kicked out in the next
election. It sounds more like a way of maintaining party discipline to me...

You missed the point - If a member doesn't vote according to
the wishes OF HIS CONSTITUENTS, THEY can force a
by-election.  It's the opposite of party discipline - making
the members accountable to those that elected them on
an ongoing basis, not just during an election.

TTYL
SRC